Unprotected fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fisharefishy99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was considering making my 37 gallon a tank for small community fish such as guppies, mollies, neon tetras, platys, and thing like that. I already have a pregnant guppy that will probably "pop" in a day or two judging by the gravid spot. My question is with two guppies and three platys in the tank will all the fry most likely be eaten? I only have a few plastic plants and gravel in for decoration at the moment for hiding places since I haven't had the chance of adding live plants yet. Also is there any fish I listed that I need to stay away from that are known to eat fry? Thank you for all the help =)

they more hiding spot the better but they wont eat them all. i went from 8 to 100 platy in a couple months.

I'd say any of the fish you listed would eat the fry if given the chance. Maybe all except the neons. I have never seen my neons chase any fry. Livebearers seem to eat their fry the first few drops but then stop. Mine ate them for the first two batches and then they lost interest.

Thank you for the help :) I'm going to try to put some breeder grass in and start researching breeding now. I thought I had at least 20-40 days to setup the tank for fry since that is the average time for guppies to go through a pregnancy. I definitely did not expect to have an already pregnant guppy when I bought it lol.

Don't be surprised if in ~30 days after they drop they drop another batch - even with no males around. I noticed this with the oldest of my females at the time. Good luck and have fun!

i would be more surprised to buy one that isnt pregnant. like meegosh said they can store sperm and have a couple more batches of fry with out any males with them.

I have a few questions though about breeding. I have a male and female guppy that don't really care that each other are there and ignore each other. I also have 3 platys (1 male and two females) and they seem to keep together a little bit. My question is will all the fish breed together even if they seem to ignore each other? Or do they need to pair up first? And my last question is about my pregnant guppy, it still has a gravid spot after giving birth to like 15 fry. Does that gravid spot mean that I have more on their way? lol

Back
Top Bottom