Unrolling Moss Ball?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MartyMA

Aquarium Advice Activist
My LFS suggested that I could unroll the moss ball I purchased and use it like a carpet. Not particulary fond of the green golf ball look so I did as he advised and draped it over my driftwood. It looks okay but I am not sure if it was the thing to do. What's the deal with moss balls anyway? Do they have any function except looking like a fuzzy green blob?:huh:

Thanks.

MartyMA said:
My LFS suggested that I could unroll the moss ball I purchased and use it like a carpet. Not particulary fond of the green golf ball look so I did as he advised and draped it over my driftwood. It looks okay but I am not sure if it was the thing to do. What's the deal with moss balls anyway? Do they have any function except looking like a fuzzy green blob?:huh:

Thanks.

Ive heard that they use the same nutrients as algea, they outcompete algea:)

Austin.b said:
Ive heard that they use the same nutrients as algea, they outcompete algea:)

They ARE algae, actually. A less proliferative species, but algae none the less. It should grow over the log much the same way moss would, but I probably wouldn't try and make it 'carpet'.

They are in balls because of the way the roll in the current. I have mine spread out and tied to driftwood. You would need alot to use as a carpet Amano has been doing it for a few years. The only problem is that the algae is verrryyy sloooww growing.

Thanks for the responses. At least there is something to look at in the tank. The fact that is a cycling toxic bath right now belies how pretty it looks. Nice and green and deadly. LOL

aqua_chem said:
They ARE algae, actually. A less proliferative species, but algae none the less. It should grow over the log much the same way moss would, but I probably wouldn't try and make it 'carpet'.

Yeah haha i was in soc.studies and i typed that one handed haha thats why my comment was pretty awkard lol

Back
Top Bottom