Unstable tank on carpet??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macfisto

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have recently become paranoid about the integrity of my 55-gallon tank in my living room. I have it situated on a wooden tank stand that I purchased from Petsmart that seems sufficiently stable. However, my concern is about the carpet that it the stand sits on. Whenever I walk in front of the tank there is noticeable water movement, indicating to me that the carpeting has affected the stability of my setup. Yesterday, my little girl ran in front of the tank and the water sloshed back and forth quite a bit.

I have had the tank set-up for over a year now and haven’t really given much thought to this issue up until now. I’m thinking that maybe I need to do something to prevent an impending disaster. Any suggestions? Has anyone ever ran into an issue like this before? I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks

Wondering if it's a floor problem too. I guess the carpet and/or padding is thick?

'Course, I have no experience with that. Just wonderin'.

The same bouncy thing happens to my sister's dining room china cabinet when the kids run by it.

The problem isn't so much the carpet as the floor joists. Don't worry, your floor is NOT going to collapse! Floor joists have a certain degree of give to them that is especially noticeable if a large amount of weight is applied to them. This can be minimized by situating the weight perpendicular across several joists instead of parallel to one or two.

If you can't do this, the floor joists can be made less bouncy by installing joist stiffeners from below. These are nothing more than metal or wood cross struts that tie adjacent joists together.

If you can't relocate the tank to an adjacent wall where it will be perpendicular to the floor joists, you should get a contractor to intall these joist stiffeners.

Over time, the vibrations from foot traffic in the house or traffic outside may weaken the silicone seals. Your tank is NOT in immenent danger of failing, but you shouldn't ignore this problem either.

I have 2 55g tanks on carpet with wooden stands and haven't noticed any sloshing of water. Of course mine are in the basement level of my house and underneath the carpet is concrete.

I'm also wondering if it may be a floor problem or maybe a thick carpet problem. Is the tank near a wall? If there is noticeable water movement when you walk by, it doesn't seem very stable to me. But a 55g with water and gravel weighs alot, so I don't think you'd have to worry about it falling over or anything.

If its been ok for over a year, I think it will be fine.

you should get a contractor to intall these joist stiffeners.

At least have one come and assess the situation professionally. Water actually sloshing OUT of the tank, suggests something is needed. Have the pro determine what.

QTOFFER is right. I'm an experienced framer and you need some kind of blocks running between the floor joists. With the weight of a 55 gallon tank, you should set up the tank so it is perpendicular with the floor joists, not parallel. It could cause damange to your subfloor having that much weight not properly supported. I'm not suprised your just noticing this... it probably took sometime to weaken enough for it to have lots of give. It is your common "running by grandmas china cabinet" syndrome.

Nik

Thanks Nik. Please tell me exactly what you suggest I do to fix the bounce in my floor. It is also noticeable on the other side of living room, parallel to the tank. We have a table with a lamp on this opposite wall and every time you walk by, the lamp moves. Does this indicate an issue with the joists or the subfloor? You suggest blocks running between the joists. Do you mean parallel or perpendicular to the joists? Thanks for your help.

Rob

Subfloor issues are usually accompanied by squeaks.

Here are three solutions with some good pictures.
Like I said, you should probably get a pro's opinion regrding which method would work best.

Easiest, cheapest way to fix the sloshing would be to move the aquarium so it is perendicular with the floor joists instead of parallel. If you want a good fix for your floors though, I'd call a local contracter and have them install something to brace the floor joists (most likely will be some 2x10s). This could prove to be quite pricey and wouldn't be that hard of a job if your still nimble and have a nail gun.

Nik

Nik,

I believe you are correct in assuming that my tank does currently run parallel to my floor joists. It is backed up to an outside wall in my living room. The problem with shifting it so it is perpendicular to the joists is that there would be nowhere for me to put it. So I either need to keep it where it is now or tear it down entirely (which I really don’t want to do). I am on a crawlspace, but have never been down there. I am relatively handy and would like to think I could take on a job like this. Are you saying that I should run some additional joists parallel to the existing ones, or should I nail some new ones perpendicular to the existing ones in an attempt to somewhat connect them to prevent floor bounce?

Qtoffer, I cannot see the solutions that you indicated were attached to your message. Thanks for everyone’s help!

macfisto said:
Qtoffer, I cannot see the solutions that you indicated were attached to your message. Thanks for everyone’s help!

Click on the word "here" in my previous post. :D

You should add 2x10 blocks (lengths should be about 14 7/16") in between the floor joists. They will slide in between and hold them together. This should significantly help with your problem.

Back
Top Bottom