unstoppable Xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicksgirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought Pulsing Xenia on a piece of slate about 3 months ago. The slate is about the size of the palm of my hand.. When I got the rock you could see plenty of rock and the Xenia was kind of scattered across it. The Xenia loves my tank and now it has overgrown the original rock and reaches off the edges looking to expand.

I've cut 4 frags off already by letting the animal touch other rocks and after a few days, I just clip the connective tissue with sizzers. The problem is that this doesn't slow the thing down!

I don't want to kill the animal but it is growing and spreading so fast, I don't have space for all of it and I worry that if I keep cutting it (in order to control it and trade the frags) I will injure the original piece or stunt its growth entirely.

Will repeated cutting have this effect or am I worrying too much?

I have not hurt mine yet and I trim it every other week. I give all the frags to my lfs.

Get some small pieces of LR and let the coral spread to that. Take them to the LFS for some store credit.

Back
Top Bottom