Unsure of suitable cichlids for my aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davetherave91

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an aquarium with measurements 39"L x 24"H x 18"W. I was wondering which cichlids would be suitable for my aquarium In terms of the size they grow to and compatibility with my current stock . At the moment my current stock is 2 x Thorichthys meeki, 1 x Thorichthys ellioti, 3 x Balantiocheilus melanopterus (Which I discovered after purchasing will grow too big for my aquarium. I do plan to rehome them in the near future), 1 x Synodontis euptera and 1 x Polypterus senegalus. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

I would consider rehousing the synodontis too. He won't grow too big but I've heard horror stories of them becoming more predatory as they age.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would consider rehousing the synodontis too. He won't grow too big but I've heard horror stories of them becoming more predatory as they age.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
So if I rehome the synodontis and the bala sharks what other cichlids could i add that would be able to live happily alongside the two firemouths?

I would recommend deciding on an overall direction. The only cichlids that I would really recommend for a 2' tank would be shellies or dwarf SAs / Riverine Africans. The bichir will also get too large and predatory. Also you stand a chance of your thorichthys hybridizing.

Honestly, keeping additional cichlids in with 2xfiremouths(pair) and an ellioti in a 3ft tank is going to be hit or miss.

I would consider a Cryptoheros sajica or a Herotilapia multispinosa but I honestly think that it would be pushing it. Especially if the meeki start spawning.

I have an aquarium with measurements 39"L x 24"H x 18"W.

I would rehome these; Balantiocheilus melanopterus,1 x Synodontis euptera and 1 x Polypterus senegalus and add in something on the smaller side with a milder temperament with something in the Cryptoheros genus with a small school of Hyphessobrycon anisitsi and call it stocked.

The only cichlids that I would really recommend for a 2' tank .

2' tank???

I would recommend deciding on an overall direction. The only cichlids that I would really recommend for a 2' tank would be shellies or dwarf SAs / Riverine Africans. The bichir will also get too large and predatory. Also you stand a chance of your thorichthys hybridizing.
Is hybridizing a bad thing? and my aquarium is 3' :)

Honestly, keeping additional cichlids in with 2xfiremouths(pair) and an ellioti in a 3ft tank is going to be hit or miss.

I would consider a Cryptoheros sajica or a Herotilapia multispinosa but I honestly think that it would be pushing it. Especially if the meeki start spawning.
I don't know what sex the firemouths are. My LFS said they were too young to tell so I have no idea if they're even capable of pairing up. If you wouldn't recommend keeping any other cichlids with them then what fish would you recommend? I don't want to put fish in my aquarium just for them to end up being harassed constantly or even killed so I'm not going to rush into buying any more fish :)

I would rehome these; Balantiocheilus melanopterus,1 x Synodontis euptera and 1 x Polypterus senegalus and add in something on the smaller side with a milder temperament with something in the Cryptoheros genus with a small school of Hyphessobrycon anisitsi and call it stocked.

2' tank???
I do plan to rehome all the fish you have listed this weekend if I get chance to do so. I've had several people advise me to do the same. Thanks for the advice. I'd hate to have a fish in my aquarium that doesn't belong there. If I've chosen to keep them as a pet then it is my responsibility to care for them to the best of my ability and keeping them in an aquarium that is too small isn't caring for them :)

Pretty controversial topic but I would say, "yes, it is a bad thing". At the very least I would call it undesirable.
I'm new to keeping cichlids so this is the first I'm hearing about them hybridizing. I think it's a pretty cool concept. As long as there is no complications with hybridizing then I personally don't see any problem with it :)

I'm new to keeping cichlids so this is the first I'm hearing about them hybridizing. I think it's a pretty cool concept. As long as there is no complications with hybridizing then I personally don't see any problem with it :)

Except that the fry are an undesirable hybrid that only muddies the gene pool of the parent species. You may plan to give/sell them as hybrids, but then what's to say the people you give them to don't label them as hybrids? There are a few species now rare in the hobby due to muddying of the gene pools, such as, but not limited to amphilophus trimaculatus (Trimac), citrinellum (midas), and labiatus (red devil). True individuals of those three species are increasing rare, due to flowerhorns and midevils.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Except that the fry are an undesirable hybrid that only muddies the gene pool of the parent species. You may plan to give/sell them as hybrids, but then what's to say the people you give them to don't label them as hybrids? There are a few species now rare in the hobby due to muddying of the gene pools, such as, but not limited to amphilophus trimaculatus (Trimac), citrinellum (midas), and labiatus (red devil). True individuals of those three species are increasing rare, due to flowerhorns and midevils.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I do see your point, and it is a shame if people don't correctly label them as what they truly are. Looking at the bigger picture I can see how it is a problem. I don't have any plans to breed them. How can they be sexed so I can make sure I have either all males or all females?

Is hybridizing a bad thing? and my aquarium is 3' :)

Sorry about that. I was in a hurry and misread. I would still recommend caution and restraint when stocking.

I agree on the hybridizing discussion. I'm not a complete purist, but I personally would only raise hybrids as live food for our pikes. Selling or rehoming them can prove impossible. I've seen bags of adult hybrids at auctions not get a $1 bid on them. Some very popular aquarium fish that we name very decidedly are actually long standing hybrids. i.e. angels

Ahh cool, I didn't know that about angels. How can I determine the sex of my current cichlids so I can make sure there isn't any chance of them breeding?

Back
Top Bottom