Unusual Advice please, re tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enid_b

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I have spent the morning reading about tank mates and so forth. The majority say don't mix tiger barbs as they bully other residents.

I have 30 long and currently my 6 TB get on great with everyone.

My dilemma is this:
I have one Dwarf Rasbora who has been alone for about 3
months now. He was originally part of a 12 piece school. His pals sadly died off quite quickly and I had resigned myself to the fact he would go too. Mr tiddler however has other plans and is still brightening up my tank. He's actually my favourite fish due to his resilience.

In the meantime, I've introduced 6 tiger barbs. They don't mither any of my fish including the rasbora.

I want to get more rasboras as I'm sure it's not good for him to be alone when he is meant to be in a school of at least 6.

If I get more, am I just signing their death warrants? Or will I be improving mr t's life. And finally if I do introduce more rasboras, am I likely to put mr t at risk by introducing effectively a huge bait ball?

Thanks.

Last edited:
if I did add more ie 15-23 would I improve their chances of survival?

thats a lot of fish to ad all at once it may cause a crash go slow add 3-4 every 2-3 weeks adding just 1 Rasbora will help as they will pair up The TB's will get nasty as they get older

Lol grizz, I would NOT DREAM of putting 23 rasboras in at once. :) if I add any fish its 2-3 at once max. In fairness the bio load of a dwarf rasbo is pretty minimal, but I would not take that risk.

But your comment of TB's getting angrier as they mature is gratefully received. I was not aware of that.

Any other opinions folks?

Tiger barbs only really bother long finned slow moving fish ime. I have 10 in my community and they are far too busy sorting out their heirarchy to bother anything else. The only fish they ever bothered (and I say "they", it was one barb in particular) was the angel fish that the previous owner had put in. I rehomed him and not had a problem since.

Thanks ickle.

I think I will increase TB school to 10 and see how that affects the current population. Then all being well I may try the DRas again.

Back
Top Bottom