Unusual Buddies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFishGirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a special treat from my grandpa - a trip to a real fish store!! Wondering now if any of them that are together shouldn't be together. Lol.
now my tank has a wide variety of freshwater fish! They all
get along perfectly!!

55 gallon long:
6x red eye tetras
4x X-ray tetras
3x black skirt tetras
5x Rasbora hex
4x angelfish
3x Albino Cory catfish
2x platys
2x guppies
2x glass catfish
5x mollies
2x common plecos (REHOMING!!)
1x Silver tipped shark (his name's Bandit :3)
9x ghost shrimp

Everyone gets along perfectly and there's no fin nipping, chasing, etc. everyone loves each other!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Your Silver Tip Shark will eat your guppies or smaller fish as soon as he figures out they fit in his mouth.

Also, only the tiny babies live in Freshwater. This is a type of Catfish. They need a brackish water Big tank to grow up in and then a Bigger tank that is full Saltwater. These can get a foot or two long. Most people kill them as babies buy not knowing their needs.

I wish they'd stop selling these.

Oh he's small enough currently to not be able to eat my smaller fish. Will he really need a new tank though? :( I love him a lot :(

I wouldn't put a Columbian shark in anything less than a 125; they will need it. Notice I said "they." That's because this fish should be kept in groups, and in due time, in brackish water.

You may also run into a problem with your four angelfish. Only time will tell.

In my humble opinion, you have too many different fish, many of them fairing better in larger numbers. If this were my tank, I would rehome the platies, guppies and mollies, and add a few more rasboras, tetras and glass catfish. You're wise in rehoming the two common plecos...

David

Nice looking tank, AngelFishGirl! As David already mentioned, instead of more types of fish you should maybe start focusing on upping the amount of certain fish you currently have. For examples the tetras and rasboras are schooling fish that need to be in groups in order to be happy. Generally the minimum is around 6, but more is always better. By having these fish in a school you will get to see how they might act in their natural environment, including brighter colors and braver behavior (i.e. not just hiding behind decor). In doing this, however, you will also need to closely examine your stocking so that your tank is at a level where it can adequately handle the bioload of your fish. Just as a suggestion I might recommend rehoming or returning a few of your tetras and increasing certain schools to 8-10. David's idea of rehoming or returning the mollies, platies, or guppies is also a good one. Let us know if you have any questions! (y)

Nice looking tank, AngelFishGirl! As David already mentioned, instead of more types of fish you should maybe start focusing on upping the amount of certain fish you currently have. For examples the tetras and rasboras are schooling fish that need to be in groups in order to be happy. Generally the minimum is around 6, but more is always better. By having these fish in a school you will get to see how they might act in their natural environment, including brighter colors and braver behavior (i.e. not just hiding behind decor). In doing this, however, you will also need to closely examine your stocking so that your tank is at a level where it can adequately handle the bioload of your fish. Just as a suggestion I might recommend rehoming or returning a few of your tetras and increasing certain schools to 8-10. David's idea of rehoming or returning the mollies, platies, or guppies is also a good one. Let us know if you have any questions! (y)

Thank you so much :) everyone's actually not hiding anywhere, but I can see where that would happen.
I guess my only question is, with a big bioload in my tank, even though no one is hiding or acting skittish....
I just want to know if they're all truly happy. I love every single fish and in a year when I move out of my house (I'm currently 16 and 1/2, moving out at 7 1/2 after graduation) I'm getting another big tank- anywhere from 55-100 gallons.

Will they be okay for that time? Obviously it'll tank a bit after moving out but it shouldn't take over a year and a half. I really love everyone and would hate to say goodbye to anybody. At the same time though, I want them to be happy. They seem happy now, but if they're truly not... Then....

Here's some pictures!! Some of them are old so there's a couple fish in there I no longer have. But nonetheless, it's still my tank! Most are recent beside a couple :D

Attachments

• image-994851580.jpg
    image-994851580.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 82
  • image-3286142264.jpg
    image-3286142264.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 64
  • image-1819708139.jpg
    image-1819708139.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 61
  • image-2319842771.jpg
    image-2319842771.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 56
  • image-3971315840.jpg
    image-3971315840.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 61
  • image-1748657675.jpg
    image-1748657675.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 56
  • image-3825606095.jpg
    image-3825606095.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 62
  • image-65140268.jpg
    image-65140268.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 65
  • image-104797485.jpg
    image-104797485.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 63
  • image-3108650813.jpg
    image-3108650813.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 68
  • image-2895550684.jpg
    image-2895550684.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 69
  • image-2156829520.jpg
    image-2156829520.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 62
  • image-307492231.jpg
    image-307492231.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 60
Yes he will die. They need Brackish then full Saltwater.
They are only ok on freshwater till about 3-4". BUT These get big, need friends and room to grow.

Test your water. Adding so many fish quickly can spike your Ammonia.

Oh I didn't add all of these guys right away.
I got the Angels, the glass cats, and one platy Sunday.

Ammonia is at 0

Back
Top Bottom