Unwanted New Acquisition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GinnyFinny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 20 gallon planted tank has had one or two hitchhiker snails that come with new plants. I can handle a few by squishing them, but a week ago I bought a lily that freaked me out with hundreds of tiny snails, even after I rinsed the crap out of the tuber and leafs. I gave up smashing them, trying to syphon them with airline tubing, so now I am asking you guys if there are any sure-fire methods of irradicating them entirely. My Cardinals and shrimp aren't interested in them. Unfortunately, soon I will have a mini-snail tank. Is there a cure? I'm afraid to look in the morning because the glass will be completely covered with beige buggers. HELP!!!!!:banghead:

Probably pond snails...

The best way to get rid of them is pufferfish. But this is rarely an option for most people.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Assassin snail anyone? But I think they could harm shrimps though.

Stick a cucumber slice in the tank (I put a nail through it as a weight). Wait 24 hour or so, pick it up with lots of snails. Repeat regularly. Almost makes good food for other things like BN plecos, shrimp, etc., but all them will flee quickly when you pick it up. Don't leave it in too long or it starts to come apart in the water.

Also ghost shrimps will eat snail eggs.

Not pond snails are not desirable, but a few ramshorns may be (depends on your taste of whether you want any) as they do clean up waste food, etc., especially if you have a planted tank passing through them gets it closer to what the plants can use.

The best cure is to control your feeding. Pest snail populations increase when there is plenty of food for them. If you're feeding just enough for your fish...the snails won't have any to live off of. You mine have a few here and there, but you won't be seeing them everywhere you look.

Cut back to feeding once every other day, just enough for your fish to eat within a couple of minutes, and you'll notice a significant decrease in your snail population.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom