Unwanted Pest or Helpful Friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Found this critter when the lights came on this morning. I don't want a snail problem, but don't mind some clean up help. Can you help me identify it? I've pulled it out of the tank until I know for sure. I'm afraid if there is one, there will be more...

Attachments

• image-511490185.jpg
    image-511490185.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 91
  • image-3654481640.jpg
    image-3654481640.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 86
They multiply my the hundreds. I put them in my plant tank and they really helped out with algae buuutt then they started reproducing out of control and stated eat certain plants.

They multiply my the hundreds. I put them in my plant tank and they really helped out with algae buuutt then they started reproducing out of control and stated eat certain plants.

How did you get rid of them? And... What kind of snail is it? Do I need to find a "Loach For Lease" program ?

I still have them everywhere like I have pea puffers in the tank and theyre not working I tried a loach but it died like they're everywhere...and I'm not exactly sure of what kind they are unjust know they're A sexual and multiply very fast....I doubt that's the only snail in the tank. Like I need to put loaches in there again. More than one. I just haven't gotten around to it.

Just take it out a squish it. All common hitch hikers will reproduce out of control.

At night put a piece of zucchini or lettuce and in the morning it will probably have tons of snails on it, so then you can throw it in the trash.

Just take it out a squish it. All common hitch hikers will reproduce out of control.

At night put a piece of zucchini or lettuce and in the morning it will probably have tons of snails on it, so then you can throw it in the trash.

To take this a bit farther, make sure you microwave the lettuce for like 5 seconds. Then put it in a jar and lay the jar down sideways. Take it out in the morning. Makes for easy clean up.

I wouldn't put it upside down. Chances are you have them crawling around above the substrate as well, so on it's side lets them get in from anywhere.

This is a Malasian Trumpet Snail. They live in the substrate where they forage and aerate the substrate, they don't eat plants (only dead plant material), and they only multiply out of control if you overfeed. I have some in smaller tanks that are over a year old and they have never multiplied. They only multiply if there is an excess of food available.

This is a Malasian Trumpet Snail. They live in the substrate where they forage and aerate the substrate, they don't eat plants (only dead plant material), and they only multiply out of control if you overfeed. I have some in smaller tanks that are over a year old and they have never multiplied. They only multiply if there is an excess of food available.

How much of an impact of they have to bioload?

I think I saw another snail. Different shape, looked like about the size I a pea. I could be wrong, though. I got sidetracked a while and then couldn't find it. Trap is set, though. Lettuce in the tank waiting for visitors. We will see how this goes...

Well, lifts have been down about an hour. Got up and went to check in and already see 2 little guys creeping. I'll not tolerate this. I will be seeking the assistance of some clown loaches soon. I don't want snails... I don't find them particularly interesting or attractive. Seems like they came out of nowhere!

Just make sure to crush them, in most places aquarium snails are illegal to dump in the local waterways or ponds.

Back
Top Bottom