Up and running....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurfQ

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so my first planted tank is up and running. I probably went a little overboard when I went to pick up the plants and there was a sale on :D

On impulse my research went some what out the window and so I likely have a couple of plants that are not going to survive my lighting.

The tank's a 10 gallon with two 15 watt CF bulbs. Here she be:
img_763097_0_27cad43f81da5a61caf1ed8d7c86427b.jpg

I never dreamed I'd actually buy algae and intentionally add it to my tank. But what can I say, I think this is the coolest thing ever :D :
img_763097_1_85ea216d80d879217a55a5de513a516e.jpg

Apart from the plants, current tank inhabitants are 5 neons, 1 dwarf neon gouramie and a couple of tiny snails that hitched a ride on my plants. One appears to be a baby ramshorn and the other a baby pond snail as best I can tell.

Here's a pic of the dwarf gouramie:
img_763097_2_a22e29105fec21ce146f2c8ce9fa6b06.jpg

Congrats! its fun isnt it? the water looks like it has tanic or something in it ( I believe that's what its called...the water looks a little yellowish..?)
everything looks great though!

Thanks guys. It is really exciting.

You're right about the yellowish water blazeyreef. It's likely from the driftwood. I didn't bother to presoak it. I kinda like it though. Looks more natural.

I'll try and get some better pics up in the next couple of days as time allows.

The rocks are straight from a local beach. They used to be in my garden way back when till I decided to go a different route with that and then they were kicking around the backyard for a few years while I tried to figure out what I could do with them since I liked them far too much to toss them. I boiled them well of course before they went in the tank. I thought they looked much nicer than the beach rocks I could have bought at Pets Unlimited for $25 a bag.

no its fine! I like it to! if your tetra's get really happy, they may decided to breed (the yellowish water "gets them ready' (for a lack of better words) as that is what occurs in the wild with the dead leaf matter etc. !
the hardscape does look very nice I agree!

i have used those round river rocks before and they are a pain to clean. look great, but... i bet they don't last long :p

Yeah, I suppose they might be at that. We'll just have to wait and see I guess... :)

By the way, what is that creature in your avatar?

heh he is an axolotl, or mexican walking fish. juju died a while back, as it's impossible to keep the water cold enough for them here. they require a temperature under about 23 celsius all the time, or they get stressed and get sick. fantastic, personable, long-lived creatures, though.

I have a wall built out of the round rock in my 10 gal., and have no problem keeping them clean. My cories do most of the work.

Back
Top Bottom