up for some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob_stl_mo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to the site and fairly new to the hobby. I've been trying to do as much research as I can, but there is so much online it can be a chore to go through. I have a 75 gal with a cannister. It's a fluval fx5 I picked up brand new off CL for $100. I know its a monster. Original plan was a cichlid planted tank. Have read a lot about them tearing up the plants and uprooting them. So I may just go fake. I need media suggestions as to what should be in the filter to get started. Heating wise I'm planning on two fluval e300s. Again, open to suggestions. Tank is in my basement because that is where I spend a majority of my time. As far as lighting I am considering the led floodlights. Just finished reading all 39 pages of that thread. Lol. Just not quite sure on a wattage, or how many I need

I know you replied. And I thank you. If its anything like car community page that I'm a part of, people don't check out the new member/intro section all the time. Lol. I just have more questions, in tank vs in line heaters. Has anyone used the fluval e300s? Also, I need a big hiding spot for my future fish. Where does everyone get their decorations and rocks? Petsmart and petco don't have much that I actually like

What is the fish your going with? And yea this is the same way a lot of people don't look in the new member forum and I don't know why because that's where it all starts. I've never used an in line heater most or probably all use the other type. Can you post a link of the one your thinking of? That will help me out a bunch cause I'm not sure what €300 is since I'm from the states.

rob_stl_mo said:
I'm new to the site and fairly new to the hobby. I've been trying to do as much research as I can, but there is so much online it can be a chore to go through. I have a 75 gal with a cannister. It's a fluval fx5 I picked up brand new off CL for $100. I know its a monster. Original plan was a cichlid planted tank. Have read a lot about them tearing up the plants and uprooting them. So I may just go fake. I need media suggestions as to what should be in the filter to get started. Heating wise I'm planning on two fluval e300s. Again, open to suggestions. Tank is in my basement because that is where I spend a majority of my time. As far as lighting I am considering the led floodlights. Just finished reading all 39 pages of that thread. Lol. Just not quite sure on a wattage, or how many I need

rob_stl_mo said:
I know you replied. And I thank you. If its anything like car community page that I'm a part of, people don't check out the new member/intro section all the time. Lol. I just have more questions, in tank vs in line heaters. Has anyone used the fluval e300s? Also, I need a big hiding spot for my future fish. Where does everyone get their decorations and rocks? Petsmart and petco don't have much that I actually like

The fx5 is fine. Great actually. I run a fx5 and a AC110 on my 75 gallon African tank. Plants IMO depend on the type of Cichlids you want to keep. With Africans I found they plants will last when there juvies but once they discover them there pretty much a toy. I had well over 40 Anubias and a few java ferns and I had to pull what was left out of the tank. They tore them up and it started to wreck havoc on my filtration system.

As far decor, rocks, slate,driftwood,river rock, all kinds can be picked up at a LFS or better yet a nice stroll around a little creek or river bank. Why pay when most of it comes from there anyway right?

Just make sure to clean the rocks really well and soak them in hot water. I do not recommend boiling rocks but that's just me.

Lighting is preference really. I happen to have gone a tad over board. I have a 4 bulb T5 HO fixture with moonlights. I replaced the stock bulbs with bulbs from a company called ATI they make really nice bulbs and there color spectrums are amazing IMHO.

My bulbs are really made for saltwater but I added 2 daylights called aquablue specials to give it a daylight look. Then I have 1 blue plus and 1 purple plus, all 4 when on really make the colors pop. Also I have it timed so the blue plus and purple plus come on first to kinda give it a sunrise effect and the fish aren't blasted with a lot of light all of a sudden.

As far as LED floodlights that seems like a lot of lighting, how many would you run? Also a floodlight might be "spotty" and may not give enough "spread" how would you mount the floodlights?

For a 75 gallon I can see easily needing 3-4 floodlights to get good even coverage. Unless you want the shadow effect?

I like a clean light, something that will spread evenly throughout the tank with minimal shadow.

Of course that's just me

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I was wanting to go the African route. As far as the heater goes, its an electronic fluval 300 watt heater. Thanks for the heads up on the deco. Today may be a good day to take a walk and look for some of that stuff. And if you look into the diy/project section under cheap LEDs, there is a huge thread on the floodlights. You can make a custom hood for them, or since they are not supposed to get hot, actually set them on your lid. I like the look of t5s, just not the bulb replacement. And that thread on the lights is called "cheap LEDs"

rob_stl_mo said:
I was wanting to go the African route. As far as the heater goes, its an electronic fluval 300 watt heater. Thanks for the heads up on the deco. Today may be a good day to take a walk and look for some of that stuff. And if you look into the diy/project section under cheap LEDs, there is a huge thread on the floodlights. You can make a custom hood for them, or since they are not supposed to get hot, actually set them on your lid. I like the look of t5s, just not the bulb replacement. And that thread on the lights is called "cheap LEDs"

Thanks ill look that up sounds great. If ot was me I think id ask there about the lights or pm the one that's doing the build. But you came to the right place for Africans :) if you need more help let us know

Back
Top Bottom