Up for the challange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beau_123

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I really want to start a species only seahorse tank an was woundering how I should get started. Please help

I really want to start a species only seahorse tank an was woundering how I should get started. Please help
What kind are you thinking? Hippocampus Erectus, zosterae, etc. All of them have many different requirements. I've had hippocampus zosterae (dwarf seahorses), and they were quite hard to keep. But if you can get experienced and do a lot of research, they are very beautiful creatures.

What kind are you thinking? Hippocampus Erectus, zosterae, etc. All of them have many different requirements. I've had hippocampus zosterae (dwarf seahorses), and they were quite hard to keep. But if you can get experienced and do a lot of research, they are very beautiful creatures.
what species would eat frozen food and wouldn't need a big tank?

what species would eat frozen food and wouldn't need a big tank?
The dwarf seahorses have been known to eat frozen food, but one day stop. If you buy them already eating frozen food, be sure to have a backup plan. The next closest in size are the Erectus I believe, and they need a 55. Dwarves can fit in a 5 gallon happily.

The dwarf seahorses have been known to eat frozen food, but one day stop. If you buy them already eating frozen food, be sure to have a backup plan. The next closest in size are the Erectus I believe, and they need a 55. Dwarves can fit in a 5 gallon happily.
i just looked at Erectus on live aquaria and they said 30g for a pair. I have an empty 29g at home I could use so I think I might go with them

i just looked at Erectus on live aquaria and they said 30g for a pair. I have an empty 29g at home I could use so I think I might go with them
You can, but I like to say higher if you're just starting with seahorses. It gives you more room to make mistakes. And you can of course get more. But of course if you already have the tank then I say go for it! What filtration are you planning?

You can, but I like to say higher if you're just starting with seahorses. It gives you more room to make mistakes. And you can of course get more. But of course if you already have the tank then I say go for it! What filtration are you planning?
thats what I needed help on how should I set it all up?

thats what I needed help on how should I set it all up?
Since they need lower flow, HOB filters work. As long as you can turn down the flow on it.I'd recommend two HOBs, one with some refugium rubble and chaeto. Then another with filter pads for mechanical filtration. Then in the main tank, you can keep some more pretty looking macro algaes, like gracilaria for hitching posts. Be sure not to get live rock. Only get dry rock. Some things that come on the live rock can hurt the seahorses. If you want some coralline, then get some soft coralline macro algae or the hard coralline algae clusters to seed it.

So I should get two or would one work and could I get a sand sifting star to move the sand on the botom around

So I should get two or would one work and could I get a sand sifting star to move the sand on the botom around
I would get two of the smaller versions. Like I said, one for mechanical and another as a refugium. And I'm not sure on the sand sifting star. I believe so, because they don't grab anything from the water column, they only sift. Can somebody else chime in?

As far as the filter. Why not go with an aquaclear. Adjust flow, plenty of room for media, and I know a lot of people make refugiums out of them.

Back
Top Bottom