Update on Hank - PLEASE HELP new to this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katejp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hank has made it two more nights since we became really concerned and noticed severe fungus/bacterial infection. We changed a small amount of water and had done one treatment for ick using Imagitarium Parasite Remover. We since had some feedback through this site and have ordered e.m erythromycin and I believe malachite green that should be coming in today.

The poor guy hadn't moved at all yesterday, we really were contemplating euthanasia as he was wobbling in the current of the filter and his breathing seemed labored. Once I shut off the light next to his tank he sprang into swimming erratically throughout the tank in small bursts. A lot of cloudy mucus came off of him and we were able to get a good look at what severe damage the pleco had done.. :( I do worry that this could be spasms/last flashes of energy.

His tail looks like it was half removed and he has a lesion on his side. I have such guilt for trying to have a tank companion and trying to have a little extra support in keeping the tank clean... If we do this again there is no chance I'm taking the risk of a pleco, regardless of what the store representative insists.

Today he has actually moved a few times. He doesnt seem as "fuzzy" and the spots are more defined. Do we think this is progression of disease/slime coat is just not going to keep up?

Any and all insight is appreciated. We are very new to dealing with a sick fish and just want to be confident that we're caring for the little guy the best we can.

Attachments

• IMG_6049.jpg
    IMG_6049.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3123.jpg
    IMG_3123.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 35
Did you try some aquarium salt? I use kosher salt too. Any thing but pink salt or table salt containing iodine. What's his tank temp? Keep dosing the parasite stuff. His fins will grow back if he gets healthy again

1 tbsp salt per every 2 gallons. Daily water changes of at least 25% will help. After each change, redose salt for the water going in. Do meds after water change

MEDS

Looks like we ordered API FUNGUS CURE. Did not order Malachite Green.

Our plan for now:
-25% water change
-get aquarium salt and start
-continue Imagitarium parasite remover and start API fungus cure

Lil Guy doesnt have long. I'd get him in a aerated bucket with malachite green asap. The heat method will probably kill him. Kordon rid ich Is the best option imo.

Additional aeration is helpful and you can remove the stones in the bottom they just harbor Ich and poop, and not needed now.

You can do a salt dip - be very aware of how your fish is doing in the dip.

The water will have the parasites which came off of the fish in it, so remove your fish from the dip carefully and do not use the salt water in the dip cup again.

Additional aeration is helpful and you can remove the stones in the bottom they just harbor Ich and poop, and not needed now.

You can do a salt dip - be very aware of how your fish is doing in the dip.

The water will have the parasites which came off of the fish in it, so remove your fish from the dip carefully and do not use the salt water in the dip cup again.

Or the net either

Back
Top Bottom