****update on mean angel***

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
and I am SO sad. After feeding time tonight, I was sitting and watching everyone swim around, and the angel started chasing the hatchets and the guppies. aggressively chasing. I don't want to give him away :cry: I have an empty ten gallon I could set up, but I was saving that for a qt tank. ANY advice would be great. If he does end up at the lfs, are there any "centerpiece" fish that are actually peaceful?

Sadly I think that would be a temporary fix, if it helped at all. He is by far the biggest fish in there. There is no one to challenge him.

Sorry to hear that he's becoming agressive :(

I second the keyholes! :lol: (Offcourse)
They are not always peacefull. Mine had eggs couple of days ago, and all of a sudden my female didn't want the male near the eggs anymore. Man did they fight! I caught it on camera........ :D Ok, I'm a freak :p I turned lights off, and next day, they were being sweet again. But the hatch failed anyway. I've now set up a breeding tank for next spawn, I'm going to raise them myself now. 8)

They are ok with other fish? Truthfully, I don't mind so much if the guppys become snacks. I am mostly concerned with the hatchets. Also my water's ph is on the high side, about 7.6 in the 55. Would they be alright with that?

Well, I did use a QT for an agressive angel recently. Every few days I would add, remove, and rearrange decorations in the QT in order to "bewilder" the angel. Boy, it would get furious with me sometimes (flaring, glaring, and charging me). After two weeks, I put it back in the main tank. During that two weeks, the picked on angel had recovered its strenght and confidence, and had a sense of belonging. The two angels are now coexisting together. The agressive one is still the dominant fish, but squables are short lived and few. The agressive one will pick on some of the Platies ad tetras from time to time, but there are enough of them to diffuse the stress. The strangest thing I have seen is a very confident Cory catfish chasing the Angel away from tubifex worms stuck to the side of the tank. It has done this several times now.

So, I think you could have some success with calming down the Angel by isolating it for a few weeks. The other thing I did was to increase the tall plastic plants, so that the view down the lenght of the tank was broken up. This would tend to supress the angels tendency to charge after a fish clear on the other side of the tank. And fish would have strands of plants to keep between themselves and the angel for security.

Good luck.

Tony, the angel, is gone. I took him to the lfs today. Its a sad, sad day.
He finally started doing damage to the other fish. One of my hatchet's tail is almost gone. The poor thing.
The lfs gave me 5$ in trade. So I picked up the only two rams they had. They are pretty stressed out at the moment. I will post pics in the new acquisitions forum when they settle in.

If they make it. They have been in the tank for almost three hours and they are still breathing really hard. Their color is returning though, so hopefully that is a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom