Update on my little monster guppy/platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PlatyLady

Aquarium Advice Freak
Finally managed to get the lil monster to come out and have his picture taken. Unfortunately, because he's so fast and because of his colour (and black markings), this was like trying to photograph Bigfoot!

(for those who don't know the story, I found him living under the rock on the right and I've yet to decide if he's guppy or platy fry)

Lots of blurry pics, lots of the lil monster half-hidden. No particularly good pics, but here are the first ones where you can at least make out that he's a fish! I'll keep trying for good pics!

that is one funky little fry! i took over 100 pix yesterday with my digital cam and zero turned out :-( they are too fast, these little guys.

It's funny that you guessed that. I have two blue mickey mouse females and used to have a male to go along with them. So, take into account that I have 5 other females and 1 other male in that tank - and imagine the possibilites of who's it is! Takes me back to 12th grade permutations...

If I take into account that I think it looks most like a blue platy, there are 8 possible combinations of parents. If it's a guppy, there are 3 possibilities. If by chance guppies and platies can breed, there's another 10 possibilites.

I think I have some better pics taken this afternoon. I'll go through them and look for a clearer pic of Bigfoot.

I asked this question myself if guppies and platies can breed and apparently they can, but the resulting offspring would be sterile. (Like a horse and donkey's offspring a mule)
So add to those permutations!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom