Update on my nitrate level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjcatlin

Aquarium Advice Regular
A few weeks ago I wrote you guys and told you that my nitrate level was 80 ppm. Since then, per your suggestions, I have been doing weekly 50% water changes and also rinsing the filter before I do it. It actually takes me about 25% to rinse the filter, so after that I do a gravel vacuuming and take out an additional 25%. After my last water change on Friday I tested for nitrate and my level has dropped to somewhere in the range of 20 to 40 ppm. My Africans are much happier now. Thank you all for your help.

At my local aquarium store the owner told me that freshwater fish don't actually drink the water, but salt water fish do. So he said that the nitrate level for freshwater fish isn't that important.

Again, thanks for your help!

The nitrate level isn't as critical as ammonia and nitrite levels in freshwater, but when nitrate gets above 40ppm it can be dangerous for your fish. That's why weekly PWCs are recommended. Keep In mind that by changing out 50% of the water you are reducing toxin levels 50% as well (i.e. if your nitrate reading is 20ppm, then you do a 50% PWC your new nitrate level should be 10ppm [provided there is no nitrate in the tap water you use])

hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom