Update on my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
A while ago I posted about how I've been having trouble with my tank. I was advised to get a test kit- good advice- but a car problem (read: nightmare) has left me both broke and without transportation (temporarily, but no chance of getting the kit for at least a week or so)

It's been a month since any fish deaths but I still think something may be wrong. I did, however, have a birth I managed to save five platy fry, who are now in my 5 gallon tank.

My main tank is a 29 gallon with the following:

4 gold barbs
5 black longfin tetras
1 male platy
4 female platys
3 half-grown platys (I think they are female, can't really tell yet)
1 full grown molly
2 molly fry (one is half an inch, the other about 1/3)
1 otto
4 neons

My tank is covered with algae, and I want to get a small pleco. I had five ottos at one time, four died, and even when I had five, the tank was full of algae anyway. When I had a pleco (I gave it away) the tank was pristine. A pleco is a definite necessity.

I think I am overstocked. Especially if I get a pleco.

So which fish do I give up? I want to keep some of the platys. I like the experience of having the babies, and I know the pet store will take them. I may call around to find a store that will actually give me credit. I need to keep my adult molly- she is very old and blind in one eye. I've had her from the beginning and she was old when I got her. I've had the barbs and longfins from the beginning too, but I think they may be the ones to go. I am totally crazy about my male molly fry, and I won't give him up no matter what. He has a sister, but I'm not sure if the percentage would work out with just her and my old molly as his females. My young male molly (I call him "The Beast") is already half an inch long, so he really isn't a fry anymore. If I could, I'd keep just him and the old molly, but I'm afraid he will harass the poor old girl to death. I want her to live out her last days in peace.

Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom