Update on Oscar (re burn)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkymom

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I've been treating with Melafix for 2 days now and there are already signs of regrowth on the wound. Around the edges it looks better but the center is hmm...rough? Like the skin is lifting off or something like that. He's eating a little better now...forgot to mention the lower appetite since this happened, but he's also changed homes and roomates so that could have had something to do with it. He's only 7 or 8" long and he ate a 3" goldfish today...kind of gross...I bought that one for his girlfriend (see GD) because she's twice his size and he ate it instead...kind of weird seeing your fish swim around with a live fish in his mouth. He ate it tail first...yummy.

Aaaha, so this is your heater burned Oscar who has the new girlfriend (we'll assume their male-n-female, respectively).
I'm very happy to hear that he is recovering, keeping your water chemistry perfect and as little stress as possible will help him to heal quickly and fully. I probably would've kept him separate for awhile if that was possible in case of secondary infection. Could treat separately, less stress if that problem was to arise.
You followed the Melafix directions carefully?
No carbon in the filter?

Shame on you! :nono:
Feeders :rocket: that have not been quarantined are mega NO NO's :!:
I'm not a complete "Feeder Nazi" though, I'll give my O a safe feeder every now and then.

I really hope your new tank and fish work out.
Better get that 150gal ASAP.

Hey, after giving her that feeder she eats now! I do massive water changes so I'm not worried about diseases. Edit to say: I rarely feed live fish...just did it to stimulate appetites.

Eating and Trusting you is Great!
But no amount of water change gets rid of a disease carried within the nasty un-quarantined LFS feeder, true?
Nasty disease ridden ol'feeder fish = Yucky!...
Nice fat Guppies out my friends healthy thriving Guppy tank once or twice a month = Yummy!
I bet a fat head and shell on shrimp fromyour local grocer would've perked it appetite :wink: .

Hmm...true...I didn't even know I could feed them shrimp...food for thought...well, I won't be doing any more feeders...at least not until I get this chemistry thing right. I'm bidding on a couple of Fluval 404s right now...if I get both, both will be filtering the tank. What else can I feed them??? Off topic I know, but healthy fish are happy fish so...this is their current food list:

Hikari gold pellets
Freeze dried crickets
Freeze dried krill (hence the shrimp thing...duh...smacks self on head)
Food sticks
Occasional algae wafers that they catch on the way down to the Pleco
I think that's about it...

Back
Top Bottom