Update on the newbie tank...suggestions welcome.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StngStr

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, not knowing anything about aquariums, we bought a 10 gallon kit from Walmart last night. When we got home we washed the tank, rinsed the gravel well, rinsed off the plastic plants and the artificial log, and put it all in the tank and set up the top (lights) and filter. I put some AquaSafe in to neutralize the chlorine (following the directions...1 tsp per 10 gallons). Then, added 4 fantail gold fish (small...maybe 1 inch) and a "sucker" fish. Not sure how to spell the real name...starts with a PL.....? It's about 1 1/2" long.

Gave them a pinch of food, which the promptly gobbled up with no leftovers last night, and same thing before work this morning.

When I got to work today I searched the net for an aquarium forum to learn more about it and this is the site I found first.

By now, i'm sure you're all aware of the problem. I had no clue about "cycling" a tank, beneficial bacteria, etc...etc.

After reading a BUNCH in this forum...especially the 22+ page thread about the fishless cycle, I now know that I should have waited to add the fish.

So...any suggestions? Should I do a 30% PWC every day until the tank cycles? Every other day? Suggestions?

Also...what about that sucker fish? There can't be any algea in there yet for him to eat. Will he eat regular food until there is algea on the walls? He's really small...no more than 1-1.5" long.

Any other suggestions? 8O

So...any suggestions?
Water changes are going to be your best friend for a while. Do you have a liquid reagent test kit?

The "Sucker Fish" is actually a pleco. It will grow way too big for your tank. My advice, return him to a lfs ASAP. With the fish that are currently in the tank, he is only going to cause problems with ammonia. A 10 gal tank is not large enough for him.

Welcome to AA! We don't want to scare you off, but just be careful with your tank for the next 6 weeks or so. You'll be doing tons of water changes and constant monitoring of levels.

Sounds good...

I'm going by PetSmart on the way home to pick up a test kit. Is there a certain brand that is the best?

When I do the PWC should I do 30%? 20%? 10%? I have a gravel siphon cleaner thingy, so that's what I'll be using.

Also...is there a different "cleaning" fish like the Pleco that I should get?

Hi StngStr and welcome to AA. Did you happen to buy a test kit to monitor your ammonia,nitrite and nitrate? If not you should look into getting one.
If possible I would recommend taking back your current fish.Not only will it save them stress and perhaps an early demise but they will all grow too large for your tank. Goldfish need at least 20 gallons apiece and the pleco will get to be over a foot long. Also the fish are incompatable with each other to boot. They require different water conditions/temps.

Welcome to AA! I'll second the advice FF has given. I'll also mention that in time the goldfish will also get too big for the tank. Also goldfish are very messy and will need lots of water changes to keep up with the waste they produce. My advice....when the fish get bigger, contract MTS (multiple tank syndrome) and start getting more tanks. It is inevitable LOL. I started with 1 a year ago and have 9 tanks now. :lol:

You'll want a kit that tests ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH atleast. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals has a FW Master test kit that seems to be very popular.

You may also want to look into returning atleast two of your goldfish. In addition to them being very dirty fish, they will grow much too large for your 10 gallon tank. Most people even recommend having 10 gallons per fish, and you may (will) have to eventually get a larger tank for them.

The plecostomus will munch on leftover food, but you should also supplement it's diet with some algae wafers from the store, or veggie matter like cucumber, lettuce, zuchini, etc.

Welcome to AA! Best of luck with your new tank.

What fish are recommended for 73-78 degrees? When we're home, we have the A/C set at 74. When we're gone, we bump it up to 78. We bought the fish at Wal-Mart, and all the other fish there were tropical (78+degrees) except for the goldfish types.

While I can not contribute to Zagz advice of MTS ( :) currently being treated for it), I do agree that the goldfish are not a good idea for the tank. They are cold water species. Smaller fish would be better suited for a 10 gal. Tetras, Dwarf Gourami, Rasboras, etc would be better. There really isn't a pleco for a 10 gal tank. The smallest that I know of is 4 inches in size, still too big for a 10 gal. Do you have a heater in the tank? A good test kit is the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit. It has everything you need. :D

Do yourself a favor and buy a good heater for your aquarium. Even if you set it low, for cold water fish, at least you know that you will have a steady temp in your tank.

78 Degrees is perfect for tropicals. You can keep anything in that temp except for cold water species. You'll need to get a heater to keep the temp stable. Temp fluctuations can kill even hardy fish.

I was posting at the exact time as penpitt LOL. MTS is incurable IMO, at least for me it is. For algae eaters you can get otos,they stay small,or shrimp.

Fish are very sensitive to temerature changes, so if your house temperature flucuates that much, you will need a tank heater if you want tropicals. I think that is the best option because goldfish need lower temperatures than that. ( i think, someone else will confirm)

EDIT: I didnt see the other post saying the exact same thing i did! Sorry! :oops:

As far as the tank goes, I'm not too worried about the size right now. Once these outgrow this tank (1 inch per gallon max) I'm planning to take the 10 gal to my office and get either a 29 or 55 gal tank for home. Just didn't want to dive into this hobby with a huge tank right away. Maybe I'll just take these fish back tonight and proceed with setting up a Fishless cycle......

hmmmmmm.............

The larger the tank, the easier it is to maintain. Seriously. The more water that dilutes the ammonia and nitrites, the better.

I see MTS setting in already :lol:. Goldies do prefer colder temps, although fancies can tolerate higher temps. I have fancies too and keep their temp at 73F.

When you go to buy the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals freshwater master test kit, get a print-out of the online price from petsmart.com and take it with you to the store. It's $13.49 online and about $25-30 in the store. The Petsmart store will match their own online prices.

weldon said:
When you go to buy the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals freshwater master test kit, get a print-out of the online price from petsmart.com and take it with you to the store. It's $13.49 online and about $25-30 in the store. The Petsmart store will match their own online prices.
Yep, that's how I bought mine. I refuse to go into Petsmart without a printed page from their website.

Trying to keep good water quality in a 10 gallon with 4 goldfish and a pleco is going to be like trying to keep an outdoor summer concert's portapotty sparkling :mrgreen:

talloulou said:
Trying to keep good water quality in a 10 gallon with 4 goldfish and a pleco is going to be like trying to keep an outdoor summer concert's portapotty sparkling :mrgreen:

Very...uh..."colorful" description.
img_574525_0_144d41047a7767c048648d1ec57bd1b6.gif

Well, back on topic, if you can take the fish back until you are cycled, and then figure out what you want to keep in the tank, that's probably the best. If you can't take them back, then just focus on getting through the cycle right now. Assuming you decide you like the hobby and are still in it months down the road when your fish have grown somewhat, then you can worry about preparing a bigger home for your bigger, happy fish. Not that I recommend keeping a 10 gallon with the fish that you have, but sometimes I think we have a tendancy to over-advise. You have to either take those fish back and cycle the tank without them, or get through the cycle with the fish first. I would hate for you to just get discouraged and hang it all up because you are overwhelmed by good advice.

I've decided to let the tank cycle first and kep the fish I have now. Once they "outgrow" the tank, I'm going to get a larger tank for home and take this 10 gallon for my desk at work with 6 or 7 small tropical fish.

Back
Top Bottom