Update onthe planted tank switch...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrixyEnigma

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I posted a few weeks back about making the switch to a planted tank. I listened to all the advice given and here's the setup I ended up with.

I have a 30g tall aquarium
Eco Complete as the substrate for 3" depth (got 3 bags online for 15.99 and free shipping)
High Output T5 fixture by Coralife (30 inch, with 2 bulbs at 31watts each)
Rena Xp2 Canister filter
I currently have one amazon sword plant, and two surviving strands of anacharis that are now planted in the substrate instead of floating
I plan to add some compact hygro, rotala rotundifolia, asian ambulia and willow leaf hygro

I think these other species of plants will survive in my low tech setup. Right now I should be getting 2 watts per gallon and the plants are about 21-22 inches from the light source. Here's a pic of the tank as it is now. There are still plenty of plastic plants, but I plan to switch out the plastic plants by the end of the week. I have to keep them because I currently have platy fry in the tank that need the hiding spaces.

I'm open to advice on plant species, etc. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 157.jpg
    157.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 158.jpg
    158.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 56
Is that real ranunculus inundatus? Because if it is I'd love to purchase some when you get any extra :D

But anyways, very nice start. Just don't get too excited...you end up getting collectoritis and end up having rubbermaid totes of plants and water in your room....(not that I have a problem *cough*)

...end up having rubbermaid totes of plants and water in your room....(not that I have a problem *cough*)

I'm going to have to show my wife this post. She rides my case for having a 5qt bucket of plants sitting on the counter.

Lol @Crepe. I'm gonna pace myself and not buy too many at once. I hate to throw anything away, so yes, I'd be the person with the buckets of plants. Unfortunately that's not the real ranunculus inundatus. It probably wouldn't survive in my setup because my ph is about 6.8 and I don't have enough light. When I move to a more high tech setup, this plant will definitely be on the list.

Thanks neilanh, I'm really loving the new setup. I just sit and stare at the tank for hours, lol.

@BigJim There's nothing wrong with a bucket of plants because you never know when you might need them :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom