Upgrade filter(s)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have 13 fish in a 20 gallon long:
5 cardinal tetras
2 celebes rainbows
1 horseface loach
1 kribensis
3 lemon tetras
1 oto

However, I plan on adding one more cardinal tetra, one more Celebes rainbow, two more lemon tetras, and possibly three more otos, and maybe three nerite snails or amano shrimp.

For filtration I have a sponge filter rated for up to 40 gallons and an AquaClear 50 with the sponge and Matrix in it. I do weekly 40-50% water changes and I gravel vac every time. My nitrates stay consistent between 10 and 20.

Should I upgrade my AquaClear and/or sponge filter and go one size up or will my filtration will be sufficient enough for all my inhabitants?

It's all about how often you want to do filter maintenance. Honestly the filters you have are fine but the larger you go the less often you will have to clean and maintain. That's why I always say go as large as you can for your needs. I have an AQ 50 on my 10 gallon heavily planted and have to clean it maybe once every 3 months. If I had a smaller one it would be much more often.

So to answer your question your filtration is enough. You just may find that you have to clean them a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom