Upgrade Time (125 gal Freshwater to Saltwater)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would it not be easier to clean before it dried out?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Not necessarily. I have a lot of duck weed that is stuck all over the glass and overflow boxes. I have been scraping it off a little at night. I will start to clean it out really good this weekend with sone kind of solution (to be determined).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had Duckweed in my 60 gal cube. Someone in residence decided to eat it. Not sure what it was.

I had Duckweed in my 60 gal cube. Someone in residence decided to eat it. Not sure what it was.

Ah, I thought you meant you were sharing a dormitory with someone and they ate it out of your fish tank. Oh the visuals...

<g.m.t.a>

Not necessarily. I have a lot of duck weed that is stuck all over the glass and overflow boxes. I have been scraping it off a little at night. I will start to clean it out really good this weekend with sone kind of solution (to be determined).

On that " solution to be determined " .. I'd suggest a rum and coke to get started then maybe a white vinegar solution for cleaning out the tank

On that " solution to be determined " .. I'd suggest a rum and coke to get started then maybe a white vinegar solution for cleaning out the tank

My favorite drink. :D i was thinking a vinigar solution would do the trick.

Started remonibg some of the subsrate last night. Got a 5 gallon bucket full out. Will do another bucket full tonight. Its probably going to take at least 5 trips with the bucket to empty it all out.

Plans for this weekend are removing the rest of the substrate, cleaning the tank and buying and painting the wood to replace the
Bottom piece in my cabinet.

My cabinet is made out of pine but i think i want to upgrade the bottom piece to something more durable. Wharvtype of wood would you all suggest?

Removed 99% of the substrate. Cleaning out the little bits left and then filling it up with white vinigar and water and let it soak for a bit.

Just a quick update. Didn't get much done due to being sick all last week. Last weekend i did get the canister filters dumped and cleaned out before the head cold started. Hope to get the tank cleaned this weekend though.

Just a quick update. Didn't get much done due to being sick all last week. Last weekend i did get the canister filters dumped and cleaned out before the head cold started. Hope to get the tank cleaned this weekend though.

Hope you're feeling better. Keep us updated with pics ;D

<g.m.t.a>

Im seriously thinkng about removing the existing overflow boxes and plugging the holes on the bottom of the tank. The overflow boxes need resealing on the bottom and that's the reason im thinking about trying to remove them. I dont know how difficult that will be until i start to remove them.

If i decide not to remove them then i will probably stay with the durso method since i dont really know a way to modify it to make it work with the herbie overflow method.

Upgrade Time (125 gal. Freshwater to Saltwater)

I don't know how to do the herbie drain but I keep it the way it is and use the durso pipes.
I know several people will not agree but i had the 125 dual overflow aqueon tank before and used both overflow boxes and never in the 3 years did it overflow into the sump as some people have said they do. Since the stand is 6ft long I ended up using a 75 gallon tank and had a friend make it into a sump/refug. A year ago i had to sell the tank due to financial issues but now things are better and now looking at their 180 or the 210 aqueon duel overflow tanks but I cannot find to many pictures for plumbing the tanks the way I want to.. I had used the hoses before but now I want to do the pipes for plumbing for this go around.

Thanks mwilliams for the input. When i first baught the tank it was setup as freshwater running with a sump and durso drains. I really didn't have problem with overflow you just have to make sure you leave enough room in the sump for the overflow boxes to drain down without overflowing the sump. The main thing i could'nt stand was all the noise it made.

I never had any issues with mine flooding the sump. I did fix the noise by pushing the drain pipe down as far as it could go and the noise stopped. But mine had hoses on it instead of pipes for all of the plumbing. I tired to post a picture but it didn't show.

Yea i thought if i put the drain into the water it would not make so much noise. So i may try that. I really dont want to remove the overflows. Im affraid of beaking the glass if i try to remove them.

Ok cleaned the tank out as much as i can. Im filling it up with mostly hot water and i will add distilled vinigar and let it sit for a few days.

I took a couple of pictures of the bottom of the overflow boxes. The seal is discolored and loosening away from some parts of the overflow box and tank. I will need to reseal after i clean it completely.

Attachments

• 1464631817998.jpg
    1464631817998.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 1464631831574.jpg
    1464631831574.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 138
Bought two Jebao RW15 powerheads for my tank. Cant wait to get them.

I am considering buying one of these skimmers also. Not sure which one yet. Any comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• 1464967308710.jpg
    1464967308710.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 1464967321532.jpg
    1464967321532.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 129
Back
Top Bottom