Upgraded from 15g to 38g Planted tank check it out!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbbyjc1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All!

I am new to the site, so please forgive my long winded phrasing! I dont know all the short cuts (abv.) yet.

So I finally got my new 38g Planted tank up and running. This is also my first planted tank so I am very excited! And I have pictures of the steps so far. Cause I know you all love the Pic's...

Equipment:

38g tank - 36"L x 12"W x 19"H
Eheim 2236 Filter - (for up to 90g tank, already primed with benefical bacteria. Its been hooked up to my 15g for 1 month and for 9mths on another aquarium. Good to go there!)
Heater - Eheim
96W 6700K Compact Light Strip
1in. Gravel from Local Farmers Co-op. - about 10lbs.
Carib Sea Instant Aquarium (Rio Grande) 20lbs.
Flora Max Original 2x 15lb bags
Driftwood - 3pcs.

Plants (so far):

Java Moss 3" x 4" (need lots more)
Star Moss 2" x 2"
Marimo Balls: (1) 3" large, (5) 1" small
Java Ferns - 4
Anubia Nana - 4
Crypt Wenditii - 4
Crypt Bekettii -4

So, the first thing I did was got my filter and tank. Then I purchased my driftwood (DW) and began the boil and soak regimin. That has been about 3 weeks now.

In the mean time. I ordered my Rio Grande & Flora Max gravels from Dr. Foster's on the internet. By the way, It saved me over $70! My LFS was charging $16.98 for a 10lb bag and I got it from Dr. Foster's for $19.99 for 20lbs. & Flora Max $17.99 for 15lbs. plus Free Shipping! The 1" Gravel was $3.00 for a 50lb bag instead of $3.98 per lb. at my LFS. The worst part was the wait! Lol :whistle:

I wanted to build up the corners, without using so much of the expensive stuff, so I bought the 1" gravel for that. I am a little concerned about the gas that may build up, so I will Poke it with a stick just in case! Any opinions about that would be nice!
2.JPG

Then I Pre-washed the Flora Max, man was it dirty! I used Half the Flora Max to build up my corners and back wall. I then cut a milk jug in oblong pieces to shore up my hills so when I added my water they didn't fall to the front. I got the idea from an ADA Aqua Scape video. I dont know what they paid for their fancy plastic, but mine had to be less! :lol:
3.JPG

Then I mixed the other half of Flora Max with my Rio-Grande Gravel and finished building my hills and leveling the front.
6.JPG

I have added my tap water plus rocks and DW. It looks great so far, IMO! I plan to add my plants later tonight and hopefully my fish tomarrow!
8.JPG

Im not real sure about adding the pics, but I did the best I could! Sorry if they look bad.

I will update this thread later with new additions!

Looks good! But, when your siphoning, im afraid all the rocks will get mixed in..and did you use a dechlorinater on that tap water? Have a test kit? I like it so far!! Like the plant choices

Hey,

Thanks for looking!

Yes, that's a def on the dechlorinater. Dont leave home without it! Lol
I'm a little nervous about the plants, Ive never attached plants to driftwood b-4. I have read plenty about it, so Im gonna give it a shot.

I think the set-up looks awesome. I tend to think you are you going to have to dig the rocks back out all the time, they may be more trouble than they are worth, but thats all up to you. You'll have to see how it goes. I like the set-up though, very attractive. Your fishes should tell you tanks. :)

Thanks, absolutangel04 for looking, It will look even better with plants!

Your most likely right about the rocks! By then I will be able to order more Flora Max or something like it!

My water is crystal clear!

I had PH 7.0 which is normal for my water. 1ppm of Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 10 - 20 ppm Nitrates. So I will check again in the morning and see what it looks like, and maybe add a few of my fishies!

What is the best way to reply the Quick Reply or Multi-quote?

Back
Top Bottom