Upgrading from 30 gallon to 125 gallon with 50 gallon sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bookmark the calculator- you will be using it frequently in the upcoming weeks! Easiest thing to do is enter 3ppm on calculator & it will give you the exact mls needed. Your tank is off to good start! :)

so the idea is to wait for the nitrtates and nitrites to start dropping?

Nitrate is at about 40

Last edited:
What you are looking for is ammonia & nitrite to drop to zero 24hrs after dosing 4ppm. It's a 2-phase process but there's always variations & exceptions along the way & no two tanks cycle exactly the same. Basically, your amm>nitrite bacteria establish themselves fully & will work towards dropping amm to zero in 24hrs as your nitrites increase. Your nitrite>nitrate bacteria then start to develop once nitrite is present- they usually take quite bit longer to establish themselves. Your nitrates will continue to steadily increase as everything is processed- their numbers typically do not drop. Once again, I have to stress no two tanks are the same cycling & the guide is meant to be just that- a guide and not an absolute. Hope this helps!! :)

so, ammonia is turned into nitrites which should turn into nitrates? Which should leave nearly zero ammonia and nitrites at all times?

Day 3. Ammonia .25 nitrite at least 5.0 and nitrate still 40. Nitrate doesn't seem to be increasing. Also I added about 3 gallons of water from my already established tank last night.

Your tank is doing fine! Don't stress. If you have already added ammonia, no big deal. If you haven't, skip it got a night. Keep us posted!!

Whatever time you normally dose at. Let us know if there's any change in your nitrites/nitrates before dosing. :)

If this is normal for your ph, then no worries yet. Changes in ph can have an effect on your good bacteria so this is something you will need to start keeping an eye on. How are things looking today?

Back
Top Bottom