Upgrading from 33G to 45G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vertex

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got a used 45G setup and am thinking of upscaling my 33G salwater to the 45 gallon. Otherwise we may just use it for a FW grow out tank. however, if I do upgrade to the 45G for the saltwater, what is the best way to do this.

1. Should I plan to just move everything at once to the bigger tank or should I setup the 45 and start it cycling with its filters and everything. I have an extra protein skimmer (a turbo medic 1000) PHs and light for the new 45G.

2. If I slowly move to the 45, I plan to do water changes in the 33G but move the old water into the 45 to help the bateria situation...

3. My good light is a coralife 2x96W PC but it is only 36" long. The 45G is a 48" long tank, will the coralife work will for this still as it is only 6" on each end and still a good 4.3 watts per gallon.

4. I would guess the LR and DSB should be moved all at once?

5. Will the new tank if everything is moved have to go though a cycle again? Is this dangerous to inhabitants (currently only snails, feather duster and brittle star)?

Any other ideas how to best do this move once I get to it??

Thanks in advanced!!

I'd setup the 45 first, put some new water in it, but then transfer the rest over a couple of days. You probably want to try to move the substrate (and obviously the rocks and fish :)).

The 36" light will work assuming you find a good way of perching it above the tank. You'll have dark spots on the edges, so don't put any corals, etc there. If you can raise the light a bit, you'll get a more even spread (at the expense of intensity).

Thanks theatrus,

ya, I will likely put the light in an open back canopy so I can easily mount it above the tank a little. I really hate the stupid little mounts that come with the coralife anyway since they don't work on a narrow tank since the glass that folds up in the front hits the bracket. I can avoid that problem with a canopy.

Anyway, will the tank cycle again even if I move all the contents in a short time? how closely should I watch the water parameters once everything is moved or will it just be OK to leave as I normally would??

Back
Top Bottom