Upgrading from t5's to LEDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

College fishman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought 2 taotronics dimmable fixtures. They are going on my 90. I have a 48" t5 fixture right now with 4 bulbs, 54watt each. Now should I worry about burning my corals and should I light acclimate?

I just bought 2 taotronics dimmable fixtures. They are going on my 90. I have a 48" t5 fixture right now with 4 bulbs, 54watt each. Now should I worry about burning my corals and should I light acclimate?

Definitely light acclimate. Maybe start the lights at 10% and gradually/weekly turn em up a bit more. Basically the same thing I did with my 90. I have 1 165w dimmable fixture(eventually have 2).

Yea I deff am going to acclimate. I've been reading and it seems to be the main thing. I don't wana burn my corals

Ya i love mine. Sps love them too! I started at 50% and now run them on full. Some coral have to be in the sand caouse they are just too strong. Keep an eye on your existing coral and if you see some fading move them down a while...

Awesome, can't wait to get them! They are supposed to be here tomorrow! So excited!

Hey if you can let me know how they are that would be great I'm most likely ordering the 120w dimmable for my 29 nanotube as well as a complete overhaul on the whole thing including a new stand

Just got them today, and they are SO BRIGHT! Im gonna work on hanging them tonight. Ill get some pictures tomorrow forsure. I think I'm going to use 4 separate timers to turn the blues on about 20 mins before the whites come on.

The only thing I don't like about them is that the LEDS won't power down less then 40%

That's my Instagram, follow if you like lots of awesome pictures! Haha

But got my LED's :) they are awesome. Not sure what to adjust them to so I got them on like 60% blue and 40% white

Ghetto rigged the mounting stuff, ill do a better job when I move. I like I'm though!

image-3451702667.jpg

Just got them today, and they are SO BRIGHT! Im gonna work on hanging them tonight. Ill get some pictures tomorrow forsure. I think I'm going to use 4 separate timers to turn the blues on about 20 mins before the whites come on.

The only thing I don't like about them is that the LEDS won't power down less then 40%

Welcome to the LED club. I switched about a month ago and had some coral issues. My suggestion is to run the blue and white at 40% if that is as low as you can go. Every two weeks kick it up about 10-15%. better to be safe. The par change is hard on the corals.

Back
Top Bottom