upgrading my tank to a bigger one. advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginty

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi everyone. i currently have a 28litre tank. it is fully cycled.
i want a bigger tank. about a 60 or 80 litre.
i have 2 plattys and 4 guppies atm.
i would like to add neon tetras in the future but i need a bigger tank as i do not want to overcrowd, because i know not to buy less then 6 tetras.

my question is. how do i change everything over to my new tank without having to cycle it again. my new tanks comes with a new filter and heater.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you put your current filter media in the new tank, it should be fine. Even better to put your substrate and decor - they hold some bacteria, though the bulk of it is in your filter media. I'd let it run a week or so, testing water parameters before you add more fish just to be sure.

Gimmethatfish is wright but if the old media wont fit in the new bigger filter just leave it in the tank. Then the bacteria in the old media will still get in the tank.

hi everyone. i currently have a 28litre tank. it is fully cycled.
i want a bigger tank. about a 60 or 80 litre.
i have 2 plattys and 4 guppies atm.
i would like to add neon tetras in the future but i need a bigger tank as i do not want to overcrowd, because i know not to buy less then 6 tetras.

my question is. how do i change everything over to my new tank without having to cycle it again. my new tanks comes with a new filter and heater.
---

If you can't transfer the media to a larger filter i would just have both filters running on your new tank for a month or so letting your old filter seed the new.

hi guys. thanks for your replies. i take it when you say add the old filter to the new tank. im guessing you mean without fish??? what do i do with the fish? because if i take my filter out of my old tank and put it in the new then i wont have a filter in the old to help my fish?

also i would like to change gravel. i like the look of the pebbley gravel. Does it matter what i have on the surface? i.e pebbles, gravel ,sand etc.

hi guys. thanks for your replies. i take it when you say add the old filter to the new tank. im guessing you mean without fish??? what do i do with the fish? because if i take my filter out of my old tank and put it in the new then i wont have a filter in the old to help my fish?

also i would like to change gravel. i like the look of the pebbley gravel. Does it matter what i have on the surface? i.e pebbles, gravel ,sand etc.

No as in trasfer every thing you want from the old thank to the new tank including fish. Gravel is easier to clean sand can be messy. I wouldn't get any new fish for at last a few weeks after the transfer.

Back
Top Bottom