upgrading tank and filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danstroud1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi. im going to be upgrading from a 300 litre tank to a 600 litre tank. the new tank comes with two new external filters. i already have two external filters on my current tank but they will be insufficient and too weak for my new aquarium. is it possible for me to just transfer all the media from the current filters into the two new filters to bypass any cycling? or is there a better way?
thanks

danstroud1 said:
hi. im going to be upgrading from a 300 litre tank to a 600 litre tank. the new tank comes with two new external filters. i already have two external filters on my current tank but they will be insufficient and too weak for my new aquarium. is it possible for me to just transfer all the media from the current filters into the two new filters to bypass any cycling? or is there a better way?
thanks

If u put in all the gravel and plants and decor, yes its possible but I would still at three fish at a time once a week so the tank can adjust

thanks for the reply. i dont think its possible for me put the fish in to the tank in stages as i have only room for one aquarium. i will be moving all the sand and decor over though

I'd say go ahead and stuff as much filter media from your old filters into the new ones ... I'm assuming the old 300L will no longer be active?.

IMO stuffing the filter media should practically instant cycle your tank, especially if also are planning to use the same decor, DW, rock etc. The BB on those surfaces will also help to establish your new tank. It's how I'd go about it.

I agree. Just put everything into the new tank. Utilize all the filter media so that your beneficial bacteria is appropriate for the bioload it's used to. You probably won't even suffer a mini-cycle.

You can also take water from your old tank and place it into the new tank so that the fish don't suffer from an entire new water column.

danstroud1 said:
thanks for the reply. i dont think its possible for me put the fish in to the tank in stages as i have only room for one aquarium. i will be moving all the sand and decor over though

Oh that sucks. I Gues I'm on the lucky side cas wen I get my new tank I'm gunna ad my fish in stages. But then again I'll have to fully cycle the tank :/

Just put everything into the new tank. Utilize all the filter media so that your beneficial bacteria is appropriate for the bioload it's used to. You probably won't even suffer a mini-cycle.

You can also take water from your old tank and place it into the new tank so that the fish don't suffer from an entire new water column.

excellent advice (y). that's prob the best way to go.

Back
Top Bottom