Upgrading Tank from 20 to 75 gallons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishysomething

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello wise elders! I've had a 20 gallon high tank for several years with a Fluval/Aquaclear 20 gallon HOB filter and a Fluval/Aquaclear 30 gallon HOB filter. There's CaribSea sand substrate, fake plants and fake logs and caves. For fish I have 4 harlequin rasboras, 3 spotted cory's (Corydoras ambiacus), 2 otto's, and a single electric blue dwarf ram cichlid (who killed his friend but mostly leaves the other fish alone).

I have a new empty 75 gallon tank, 48 inches across, 18 inches back, and 20 inches high. I got a 48 inch Marineland aquarium plant led light with timer (and an extra Marineland single bright led 36 inches I can add if necessary). I also have a fluvial 306 canister filter which I know is only rated for 70 gallons but I'll add one of the HOB filters from the 20 gallon to get the nitrogen cycle started. I haven't put anything in the tank yet.

I want to have a good number of plants and some driftwood in the tank but I've never had plants before and I have a limited budget (and I'm not good at DIY) so I'm planning on getting pool filter sand and then supplementing with root tabs, I don't want to mess with CO2.

Ideally I would take all my fish from the 20 gallon and put them in the 75 with some fish that would get along with them, I'd like as many varieties as possible but very peaceful, I hate to see fish fight. What are some good plants for me to start with and some interesting fish. I was thinking maybe I would eventually get discus but they seem pretty high maintenance and I heard angels can get aggressive, so maybe Bozemani rainbows, or rose line sharks, or rummy nose tetras, black neons, maybe whiptail catfish? Is there another centerpiece fish that would get along with my dwarf ram like a Bolivian ram or should I leave him and some of the others in the 20 gallon, I would like maximum flexibility but definitely want some cory's and some schooling fish. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I usually "google" freshwater community fish to help locate something I like. I also search the website "LiveAquaria." That site is great for learning everything about that fish, including how to care for it.

I'd move your current stock to the big tank and up the shoal size of the harlequins and the cories to about 15 of each.

Fishobsessed7

Just a heads up, I've got boesemani rainbows now and they're a little more aggressive than what I was expecting. Mainly just the big boss one chasing and nipping at the others. My shoal is small though due to being sent rainbows with parasites and ich, I've only got four of the original eleven left so maybe when the new ones come in the aggression will die down. Also with how active they are and how big and how many you would need, I'd suggest nothing less than a six foot tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I forgot to add, as far as plants I had never done live plants before either. Currently I have Anubias nana and Anubias congensis tied to my driftwood that has really taken off and doesn't need any special care, plus none of my fish seem interested in eating it. I also went the same route you're planning and used pool filter sand with root tabs and have two red Rubin swords planted. They seem like they're doing okay, I have noticed a few little pieces missing though from my fish. I'd definitely recommend getting Anubias and tying it to your driftwood.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the heads up on the bosemoni, I'll stay away from those and check out the plants, does anyone have an idea for a decent sized centerpiece fish?

Back
Top Bottom