Upgrading tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marvensmom6

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have a 10 g and am upgrading to a 26 g tank. I would like to use my old filter to cycle the new one. I was told to use the old and new filters in the new tank- but then what do I use for fish in old tank?

Also, any ideas for fish that would get along with a betta and 5 ottos? Thanks ? thanks

Are you planning on decommisioning the smaller tank?

If so, just move everything from old to new. Fish, filter, decorations etc. Run the old filter alongside the new for a few weeks before removing it.

If not and you plan on keeping the old tank running, then you cant remove the filter from the old tank. But you can take a little filter media from the old tank or squeeze out a sponge from the old filter into the water of the new tank to help it cycle quicker.

If you’re keeping both tanks, then ideally you want to take a portion of the filter media (50%)from the old tanks filter and put it into the new tanks filter to ‘seed’ it with beneficial bacteria to kick start the cycle.

If you were going to decommission the old tank then you could just run both filters in the new tank until the larger filter for the new tank cycled, then just run that larger filter once it’s cycled

Back
Top Bottom