Upgrading tank size and want to add soil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benwallage9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 29 gallon tank that is established. I'm using a sand/gravel substrate and have 6 plants in it, some doing well others not so well. To improve the ones not doing so well I have tried adding root tabs, co2 boost, and leaf flourish, basically the three main things api offers for plants. This regiment has gotten somewhat expensive and hasn't provided very good results.

I recently purchased a used 55 gallon tank. I am wanting to add soil to this tank and give the Walstad Method a try. My plan would be to add the soil (soak it well, try to remove to the floating debris, and particles that would make the water dirty), place the gravel in the current tank over the soil, add the plants, add 20 gallons or so of water, let the tank settle over 6 to 8 hours, add the remaining water from the 29 gallon tank, and add the fish.

I currently have a 50-75 gallon filter from marieland with a bio wheel on the 29 gallon, I plan on adding this filter to the tank, and adding an additional filter or possibly a powerhead.

I would like to know what soil you guys have had the best luck with and if this is possible. My alternative plan would be to add the soil, then gravel and plants from the existing tank let it cycle and then add the fish once the tank has cycled. Thanks for taking the time to read and the feedback.

I've only used floramax :/ sorry thats all i got lol

Sent from my LG-D851 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I currently have a 29 gallon tank that is established. I'm using a sand/gravel substrate and have 6 plants in it, some doing well others not so well. To improve the ones not doing so well I have tried adding root tabs, co2 boost, and leaf flourish, basically the three main things api offers for plants. This regiment has gotten somewhat expensive and hasn't provided very good results.

I recently purchased a used 55 gallon tank. I am wanting to add soil to this tank and give the Walstad Method a try. My plan would be to add the soil (soak it well, try to remove to the floating debris, and particles that would make the water dirty), place the gravel in the current tank over the soil, add the plants, add 20 gallons or so of water, let the tank settle over 6 to 8 hours, add the remaining water from the 29 gallon tank, and add the fish.

I currently have a 50-75 gallon filter from marieland with a bio wheel on the 29 gallon, I plan on adding this filter to the tank, and adding an additional filter or possibly a powerhead.

I would like to know what soil you guys have had the best luck with and if this is possible. My alternative plan would be to add the soil, then gravel and plants from the existing tank let it cycle and then add the fish once the tank has cycled. Thanks for taking the time to read and the feedback.

I'd recommend reading Walstad's book before going through with this method. Walstad encouraged organic potting soil, nothing more, nothing less. It is capped with a 1 inch layer of gravel. Although I can understand that transferring the filter over to keep the fish safe is the correct way to go, consider removing it after a few weeks as Walstad doesn't use any kind of filtration Except that which biological resides on all surfaces in the tank. She just uses a small pump for surface agitation.

Expect some peaks and troughs in terms of tank stability for the first month or so as the tank tries to balance itself. You may get algae issues and poor growth etc. Do not be put off by this, this is normal. After a month or so the tank water should be crystal (no need to rinse the soil) and the plants and fish should be thriving.

Reefer James's dry start suggestion is a good one if you want to avoid some of the peaks and troughs of bacterial colonisation and poor initial plant growth and the plants would be in a better state of health and more equipped to deal the the change to submersed growth. Personally I would go with the Walstad method.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It looks like you are going to have a low-tech tank. Awesome! In your case, if you are going to go with the Walstad method, I would not recommend trying tougher plants as from what I've read about it, you won't have a ton of CO2 in the tank. I'd try to aim for a solid low light (upper end), and you can use Flourish Excel or Metricide 14 as your carbon source. If you do go truly low tech, the fish should be able to provide the nutrients for the plants. Hope it works out for you!

Edit: Plus, good filtration is key for a planted tank. To avoid spotty growth, a nice filter would be good for your tank.

Thanks for the input I appreciate it. I have read a few articles about dry start and like the idea, seems like it would really help boost plant growth. I do have couple questions though. I was wanting to add the gravel and sand from the existing tank to keep the beneficial bacteria already established thinking it would help the transition. Should I not be worried about this? Or just try to shovel it around the plants when it is time?

Also article say use cheap organic top soil does anyone have some suggestions to a brand they have had best success with.

Finally given the proposed system what plants do you guys think would be best for carpeting the tank? I tried micro grass in my current tank but was unable to get them to take rot very well and after months of trying they finally kicked the bucket.

Back
Top Bottom