Upgrading tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ken_wied

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 55 gallon tank that is cycled. I want to upgrade to a 75 gallon. If I transfer the sand and water from the 55 gal to the 75 gal, how long if at all will it take to cycle :?:

You will definitely have a cycle tho it is hard to say how big ...
But by siphioning out the water into bins and then scooping the sand out and into the new tank along with the LR ,then pumping the water back in you should see a bit of a cycle but not huge... I would say that are looking at probably another 2-4 weeks of a cycle... tho there is a chance you wont see one at all... When I change our tanks it was settled down with in 48 hours .

I agree, 20gallons of more water doesn't seem like there would be much of a cycle. I would have extra pre mixed water at the ready and test.

Just an idea but I would maybe think about adding new sand and seed some of your old sand in to make it live. If its been there for a while it could be quite nasty.

melosu58 said:
Just an idea but I would maybe think about adding new sand and seed some of your old sand in to make it live. If its been there for a while it could be quite nasty.
Yep save a bit out but a good rinse will aleviate all the junk and can be reseeded with the live rock and the saved sand :D

Back
Top Bottom