Upgrading Tanks and I Need HELP..!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i just picked up an oceanic systems 46g bow front off craigslist with wooden designer stand that has a glass door for sump access for $60, i know i almost felt bad doing it, but now the question is, how do i "shift" tanks without crashing and losing everything?

i think ive read every opinionated how to and argument there is on several forums and i want to skip all the bs and get some answers. i want to do this over a weekend so ill be there to monitor how my tank and stock is coping with the shift, i can take a friday afternoon off to start early and go all the way through monday so really ill have about 4 days of a time frame.

i want to use all the same live rock, live sand, water, pumps, powerheads, lighting, everything so it will be just like an expansion to theyre home with nothing different to keep the stress levels down. i might add about 20lbs of carribsea reef grade, either live or dry, and ill be getting the water pre-mixed @ 1.026, so with all that said and done, lets hear it guys im listening (y)

Day1: Clean and 24 hour test fill the tank first then if all goes well drain it.
Day2: put all your stock into a spare cycled tank (if you have one) if not try a large container, transfer 50% of the tank water into the new tank since it's larger it won't be as full, then add all the sand to the tank and fill it.
Day3: add all your live rock etc to the tank and add your stock.
Day 4: monitor closely and enjoy :) hopefully all goes well.

That's just a very no BS way. ;)

Day1: Clean and 24 hour test fill the tank first then if all goes well drain it.
Day2: put all your stock into a spare cycled tank (if you have one) if not try a large container, transfer 50% of the tank water into the new tank since it's larger it won't be as full, then add all the sand to the tank and fill it.
Day3: add all your live rock etc to the tank and add your stock.
Day 4: monitor closely and enjoy :) hopefully all goes well.

That's just a very no BS way. ;)

awesome, i was told to use all new live sand and wash the old and add it slowly into the new tank over a week, i have a really clean tub i use for water changes i can use that for the stock, do i need a bubbler in there with them? or anything to keep them alive..?

How big of a tank are you upgrading from?

What is your stock of animals youre going to be transferring?

2 caramel clowns, a royal gramma, and that's it. I'm rehoming my candy hog and six-line wrasse, ill be going from a 36g bow front to a 46g bow front staying a fowlr as well.

I have done this more than once. First thing I did was buy new live sand. I refuse to transfer old sand. May be a little bit for bacteria and that's it. New sand is the way to go bc your live rock has all the bacteria you need. Pretty much same thing with water. I only transferred half the water from old tank because of laziness to buy water from LFS.
Put a garbage (large plastic) bag over sand. Make sure it covers the entire bottom. Slowly add water without it touching sand. The garbage bags will help to keep the aquarium from becoming "cloudy". It should be clear with 2-3 hours instead of 2-3 days. Lol.
Turn on the heater. Once desired temperature is achieved move live rock. Once the rock is moved you can now easily find your CUC members. Transfer them to your tank. Same with fish. Your filtration system should be one of the first things transferred also.

I have done this more than once. First thing I did was buy new live sand. I refuse to transfer old sand. May be a little bit for bacteria and that's it. New sand is the way to go bc your live rock has all the bacteria you need. Pretty much same thing with water. I only transferred half the water from old tank because of laziness to buy water from LFS.
Put a garbage (large plastic) bag over sand. Make sure it covers the entire bottom. Slowly add water without it touching sand. The garbage bags will help to keep the aquarium from becoming "cloudy". It should be clear with 2-3 hours instead of 2-3 days. Lol.
Turn on the heater. Once desired temperature is achieved move live rock. Once the rock is moved you can now easily find your CUC members. Transfer them to your tank. Same with fish. Your filtration system should be one of the first things transferred also.

Wow that sounds really simple, can I use my old sand after a super wash and dry later in the tank? I'm gonna need about 60lbs total of new sand for the new tank and I have 40lbs in the current tank, could I get maybe a 20lb or 40lb bag of new sand and slowly add in 20lbs of old sand once washed thoroughly and dried..? I ask because I'd rather spend my money on more live rock I only have about 40lbs of it in my old tank, I'm shooting for at least another 20-30lbs of it to fill up my tank.

Last edited:
I'm doing the same thing as a relative donated a bigger tank to me.
I agree to get new live sand and new water if possible.

Main reason for the new sand is to not disturb what is in your tank as mush as possible. I also plan to clean and dry the old sand and slowly add it to the new tank over time.

I'm doing the same thing as a relative donated a bigger tank to me.
I agree to get new live sand and new water if possible.

Main reason for the new sand is to not disturb what is in your tank as mush as possible. I also plan to clean and dry the old sand and slowly add it to the new tank over time.

Sweet so its official that's what ill be doing then. Tomorrow ill be picking up 40lbs of live sand and starting my shift!

I did this three times very easy just like doing a wc but your adding and not taking out any. Use all the old stuff if the sands a concern rinse it in some tank water. I used all my old sand and new no sweat. Did it in about 5 hours the rock work is the worst added about 75lbs of dry rock.do check for leaks in the new tank.

I did this three times very easy just like doing a wc but your adding and not taking out any. Use all the old stuff if the sands a concern rinse it in some tank water. I used all my old sand and new no sweat. Did it in about 5 hours the rock work is the worst added about 75lbs of dry rock.do check for leaks in the new tank.

ive thought about rinsing the sand and just adding it to the new tank, but i still need to add 20lbs of sand, so im still torn there, tonight ill be filling the tank and leaving it overnight and all day until tomorrow afternoon when i start my move, im so stoked though!

So many ways of doing this just gotta find what works best for you. It was never worth my time or effort dealing with dirty old sand. Lol. So I just bought new. But like others say it is just fine to keep old sand and keep $ in your pocket :)

For me it was the age of the sand less than six months. My wife is addicted she's like 36to 46 bowfront to 92 corner in less than a year. Me I'm still at 75 but looking for 180. It's like start big or upgrade!!!! Learn as you go!!!!!

So many ways of doing this just gotta find what works best for you. It was never worth my time or effort dealing with dirty old sand. Lol. So I just bought new. But like others say it is just fine to keep old sand and keep $ in your pocket :)

well if i can keep $50-$75 in my pocket i will lol can i rinse with freshwater like from a garden hose..?

well if i can keep $50-$75 in my pocket i will lol can i rinse with freshwater like from a garden hose..?
I'm sure you could if you are in no hurry. By that I mean the bacteria in your sand will almost certainly die so you will be relying on BB from live rock and filtration. You would probably need to make sure your parameters are spot on which means you might have to wait a little. I bought new live sand because I didn't have enough equipment to run two tanks at the same time so everything had to get done sooner than later.

well, i need all the saltwater from my old tank for the new one, so can i wash it in new saltwater rather i old..? i really rather not risk it with freshwater to be honest either, and i am in a hurry to do this swap i have the weekend, and thats it to get it right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom