Upgrading to Bigger Tank - Questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limemittens

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I currently have a 75 gallon FOWLR tank that has been up a running for about 4-5 years. Currently dealing with an ick problem with a few fish in QT, but had no major problems thus far. I have been recently offered the opportunity to purchase a 90 gallon acrylic wave front tank from a LFS. They use to keep a saltwater display in it, but recently decided to take it down. If I were to upgrade my current tank contents to the new one (including LR, sand, fish, inverts, and Fluval 405 canister filter) what all would be involved? Would I need to cycle the new tank if I am using already established contents from the old? Any advice?

The deal on the tank seems terrific, so I may but it now and then wait a few months to put everything together. Tank is $599 and including hood, lighting (basic, put I will probably get new lights anyway), protein skimmer, and stand.

The problem with using the old sand is that a lot of toxic gas and other nasty stuff gets caught up in the lower parts of the sandbed. Stirring up this sandbed is going to foul up your water and cause a lot of problems. Most people when converting to a new tank wisely get new sand. One thing you can do which is a good thing, is get cheap non-live sand to put as a base then use just the top quarter inch from your old tank and spread it over the unseeded sand in your new tank. This will not stir up any of the negative gas and will allow that bacteria to seed down into your new sand.

To be honest if you want to get rid of your problem with ich, you may be better off with new sand, water, etc. Anything your bring from your old tank to your new tank (including fish) is going to risk bringing the ich along with it. One thing you could do like I mentioned before then let it sit with water fallow for 8 weeks. That will kill off any ich, cycle your tank, and make it ready for inhabitants.

Even if you use your old stuff you will have to cycle some because there will be some die off in the process and it needs to seed the sand, walls of your new tank, etc. But it won't take as long as a typical cycle and the ammonia spikes won't be as dramatic.

The only other things I would be concerned with is leaks caused by transporting the tank. Every time you move a tank it weakens the seals, especially after it's been filled with water in the past. It's a lot of stress on the tank so just be gentle. Sounds like you're getting a good deal though! Good luck. :)

When you say let the tank sit for 8 weeks with water, do you mean the new tank or the old tank? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but it did not seem clear. If would be the new tank, would I need to buy a new filtration system to be cycling my tank (since the Fluval would be with my old tank) or would the bacteria just grow in the sand with the water sitting in it?

Honestly, the new sand sounds like a good idea, but I don't think I want to invest in completely new LR and filter system. I have some much $$$ into my current tank as it is. Since my fish are currently QT from the ick, I think I am willing to take my chances with transferring them over to a new tank after a good long hypo treatment.

deal sounds ok... you could probably find a better one on craigslist for that price... anyways, if you use your old water, substrate, & LR I think u should be fine

If you are dealing with an ick problem I would not transfer the water or sand. The parasite is a free swimmer and that water is the last thing you want in the tank. When the parasite falls off the fish it falls to the substrate and over 200 little ones called tomites come from that one so I suggest you dont use the sand either. You might even want to QT your LR in a rubbermaid tote also to be on the safe side. JMO

Yeah I agree with Melosu.

And like I said "if you want to get rid of your problem with ich, you may be better off with new sand, water, etc. Anything your bring from your old tank to your new tank (including fish) is going to risk bringing the ich along with it. One thing you could do like I mentioned before then let it sit with water fallow for 8 weeks. That will kill off any ich, cycle your tank, and make it ready for inhabitants."

I totally understand not wanting to buy all new equipment, sand, LR, etc. If you don't want to spend too much money by getting new stuff, you can take your canister filter, put it on the new tank, let it run for 8 weeks fishless to get rid of ich, and then go to Pet Co and buy some crappy Whisper filter just to get you by for those 8 weeks. But it's up to you. Anything you bring over from your old tank is going to risk problems in your new one. All the ich should be gone as long as it's fishless for 8 weeks though.

Oh and I meant let the new tank sit fishless for 8 weeks.

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the feedback. After so careful consideration about logistics and a quick search on craigslist, I think we are going to wait out the ick problem and get our current tank in better health again. Honestly, there seem to be some better deals on craigslist for tanks so we might just give it six months.

The whole purpose of upgrading would be to start getting some anemones and corals in the future, so a healthy tank with good water quality is the goal first. Just have to learn to be patient...sigh.

Back
Top Bottom