Upside Down Cats: any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattman0182

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I finally got my tank ready for fish!! About time, I set it up like 3 months ago. I went to the pet store today and they orderd me a Bristlenose Pleco at my request.

While I was there I picked up a pair of Upside Down cats and some kind of dwarf frog. I was told the albino frogs get rather large and could kill my cats and future pleco. Took me over an hour to decide what to get!!!

Here is my question. I got pellets for the frog to eat, but what is best for the cats? Is there anything else I should know about them?

FYI: They all have a 30 day garuntee. And this pet store is great with honoring those.

My only other residents are some snails that came on the plants.

None really, they are cats, they are upside down, I feed mine algae wafers and they pretty much eat whatever comes infront of their mouths.

They will eat whatever usually.

I have one in my 29G community tank.
only suggestion is having places for it to hide in.
I used one of the knive fish tubes they sell in stores he loves it.

They are actually both hiding in the same plant right now. I have 6 live plants they can use for cover. They also like to hang in the corners of the tank it seems. Its a 29 gal.

Thanks much for the link! He is definatly a dwarf because all fours are webbed. Hard to find him he is so tiny.

I put some amphibian food pellets in the tank. They went fast so I think he ate them. (unless the cats got them first but I dont think so).

I guess I should get some algae nuggets for the cats, and the bristlenose once I get it.

A clown loach, however they get huge. talk to your LFS and see if they will take them back when they get bigger. some will some wont.

Try a Chain Loach. They are far smaller than clown loaches and do snail removal just as well as clown loaches. And algae nuggets are good for both the catfish (the upside downs and the plecos). Algae-wafers are also okay, so are 'herbivore diets'. I assume your upside-down catfish is from the genus Synodontis? This means it likes hard water, and ADFs also like hard water. Bristlenoses are pretty hardy but prefer soft water.

well the snails havent become a huge problem just yet. I got some algae wafers and freeze dried bloodworms for the cats/frog. I also have newt food for the frog since they didnt have frog food. The associate told me the newt food would work also.

Here is a pick of one of the cats.
img_975302_0_99faf79ca85a00aae50f2e6cbdfabe62.jpg

Back
Top Bottom