Urgent 50% water change don...what now? Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keke89

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all total newbie here.

Fish we're dying daily, last 2 days got test kit.
Ammonia - 10 ppm.Toxic
Nitrite - 0.0
Nitrate - 0.0

Did immediate 50% waterchnge? Through in prime seachem. 15g tank What to to next? When must I test again? Stressed a bit, an fish are swimming frantically after waterchange.
Are they freaked out?, dying? Or relieved??
My normal tap water has 0 ammonia.
What to do?

Awaiting on any advise, thank you all.

I am in South Africa and all our shops don't stock API products. So still opted for liquid test an got the sera test kit.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390412894.041068.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390412964.922022.jpg

For tropical fish tanks.

Have you tested since the water change? Your goal is to get it down to at least .25 if not 0. The fish will be stressed, it will happen. if you're refilling using a python type water changing system, make sure you use enough to treat a 15g tank, not just replace what you took out.

No python type water changing system here. I used the gravel vacuum hose and use a bucket to replace water...., slowly, I try to match temp as well.

If I test again and level still not right, shouldn't do wc again? How long after that should I test again?

With ammonia at 10 ppm, I would be doing 50% every hour until I got it down to 0.

What type of fish do you have in your tank? Some can handle large water changes better than others. If there is any reason your tap PH is different to your tank (driftwood, crushed coral ect) be more wary of doing large water changes. If you know there is no issue with differing PH, I would be doing several large water changes an hour apart to get the ammonia right down.

It been about 40 mins, can I test, or should I wait untill a hour has passed, then test?

I have gravel in tank, guppies, cardinals cory catfish julli and khuli loaches.

I would do another test. If this was my tank (I'm lucky enough to only stock hardy fish!) I would be more worried about the extremely high ammonia levels and getting them down than worried about causing shock by large water changes. Just make such the water it temperature matched and properly conditioned. I regularly do 80% water changes with both my tanks with no problems.

Ok so tested.. 5... We are getting somewhere, strangely fish seemed more peaceful... I think? Will test again and do wc if need be.

I would honestly do a water change an hour until you get ammonia to 0ppm. When cycling with fish its really important to keep on top of water changes. I expect you will get a nitrite spike also, so keep an eye out and make sure you keep up with water changes. It may be large daily water changes for a while to keep parameters at a safe level. What you are looking for, to know your tank is cycled and you can start relaxing, is 0 ammonia and nitrites, and nitrates under 20. When nitrates start showing up you know you are in business :dance:

Thank you so much Josie, I am committed!! Ready for this... Cool, so I will get ammonia down to 0. What do I do when there is a nitrite spike? Or will that subside on its own?

Then its....more water changes! Nitrite is toxic also, so you want to try and keep it to 0 with water changes. If you see any ammonia or nitrite do a water change. When you start seeing nitrates that's excellent.
Very Basically, one set of bacteria feeds on the ammonia, turning it to nitrites, another set of bacteria feeds on the nitrites turning it to much less toxic nitrates. The nitrates are then removed by us during water changes. Some very lucky tanks will develop "nitrate eating bacteria " and its quite common for heavily planted tanks to show little to no nitrate readings at all. Live plants are always a great help with water quality :)
Do you have seachem prime water conditioner? Its a real help during cycling with fish.

Thank you venymae!!!!!

Great article!!! I feel more informed now.

Thank you all.

Hi Josie , indeed!! Seachem prime was the first thing I bought with my tank.
I am adding it with every wc. Am I correct in doing so?

Looking good.... Thanks guys/ gals?
I am down to 1!!!

Back
Top Bottom