Urgent!! Filter broke down!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magma4life

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I've been medicating my betta for popeye and he's not better after the treatments but I was going to put my carbon insert back in anyway cause I'd been running the filter without the pad. I did a water change just now and when I went to turn the filter on-with a new pad in it- it wouldn't run. I tried replacing the brand new filter pad with another brand new one but it still wouldn't work. I don't have any airstones or any other form of airation besides the filter. I have no idea what type it is cause it came with the aquarium kinda like a package deal. It's given me trouble before but it never stopped working for this long without any obvious problem. I took a paper towel to the insides where the pad was supposed to go and it was very dirty. But even after I cleaned it it wouldn't run.I don't know what else to do. I don't have the money right now to get a new filter. Any ideas on how to fix it? Will magma (my betta) be ok till I can get it working again? Please help! Thanks in advance.

Don' use a carbon filter pad when you are medicating. As long as you keep up on water changes you should be fine. testing the water will help you know how much you should be changing.
Check the hose part as when cleaning, it could be clogged in there as well.

Yeah I know not to use carbon filters while medicating. I called my mom up and she came in and took the whole thing apart. It managed to work kinda when she plugged it back in but it probably won't work for much longer as the flow is really weak. Hopefully it will make it through the night. My mom took matters into her own hands and ordered a new one just in case this one stops working again. Thanks for your all your help!

Next time pull the impeller and clean it along with the housing. You should periodically pull your filter apart and clean the gunk out of it.

Thank you so much! Didn't know that but my mom did remark that there was lots of red gunk in my filter. Will be performing regular maintenance from now on.

When mine stop working or the flow is noticeably lower I pull it apart and clean everything. Get yourself a set of aquarium brushes of different sizes. They work good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom