Urgent help, fish dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deepblue02

Aquarium Advice Regular
Did a 20 percent water change and added some ich treatment today, 2 hours later, 3 dead fish, none acting normally, HELP

Let's get some more info so we can get you sorted.

Tank size, how long has it been set up, what species and how many of each?

What's your normal water change routine? Are there any symptoms other than ich? How are you treating the ich?

Okay, its about 22 gallons, ph is 7.4, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are 0. I have two angel fish, 4 penguin tetras, 7 black phantom tetras, 4 neon tetras, 3 guppies and 2 ottos. The angel fish are small though and i have checked to see if it is overstocked, but i havent added fish for 3 or 4 months. I noticed the guppies tail fins were almost as if they were ripped, i guessed it must be ich. 2 weeks ago i treated an algae bloom, but to no avail. Last night i used a bit of elbow grease and got rid of it all, is this the problem? All the fish are swimming funny, going on their sides, sinking, floating e.t.c, i didn't think i could have an outbreak of swim bladder, but they all seem to just be out of it. It could be stress, but would this cause them to be like this 24 hours on. No more have died, yet, but none are swimming normally. Any other questions you need to ask, please ask, and is there anything i can do?

When you cleaned the algae, what did you use? Did you use a brand new sponge? Any soaps or chemicals? Did you rinse it in dechlorinated water or straight tap water?

What was the exact ich med you added? It sounds like a reaction to the medication. Ripped fins does not indicate ich though and its more likely the result of aggression. Ich appears as if a fish has been dusted with fine sand. Is this what you are seeing or did you treat just based on torn fins?

Just based on torn fins and i treated the whole tank

A new sponge, saying that makes me wonder then, it was just a normal sponge, and i gave it a quick rinse in old tank water. Whats the chances it'll all clear up then?

Some sponges contain soap from the manufacturer that can harm the fish. Just a plain scotchbrite type sponge shouldn't cause a problem as long as it never been used on non tank related items. If it was used for washing dishes and still had trace amounts of detergent could cause the problem.

Torn fins is definitely not a sign of ich, but rather either water quality issues or aggression in the tank.

My next thought, are you certain you used dechlorinater when you did the water change?

Yes, i have used it many times before and never a problem, looks like its the sponge. My angel fish have just died and some of the others, is there any way to rectify the problem before the tank is empty?

I would do a couple large water changes back to back with deep gravel vacs. Make sure to clean you filter thoroughly too. Do not forget to dechlorinate.

Do you have carbon in your filter? If not add some for about a week, if you do put in fresh and throw away the old.

Yes, i have used it many times before and never a problem, looks like its the sponge. My angel fish have just died and some of the others, is there any way to rectify the problem before the tank is empty?

I am doubting the sponge but instead suspect the med that was added without just cause. Large wcs and running some new carbon will help remove it depending upon what exactly it was. You did not mention specifically what you added or how much was dosed.

Back
Top Bottom