Urgent Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarah E

Aquarium Advice Activist
Could use some advice. A few days ago, charcoal the angelfish developed small white dots, 4 on either side of his head, that were cottony growths. Used Pimafix for 4 days, a melafix 1 day, then pimafix again and the dots seemed to fade, but not disappear. Last night I discovered he had a distended, 1/2 inch, white, almost bumpy growth. I did not redose with pima or melafix, unsure if it was the cause, or what.

Today, the distended bulge has become an abscess that extends a 1/4 inch into his head, and is torn off completlely. He's still alive, there's no sign he's feeling ill, but he is. I took a couple photos, i apologize for the blurryness. Has anyone seen this before? what can i treat the tank with?

Shadow, the female angel, now has the small white dots up her face and i'm worried about the same happening to her.

Attachments

• Angel sick.jpg
    Angel sick.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Angel Sick 3.jpg
    Angel Sick 3.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Angel Sick 2.jpg
    Angel Sick 2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 50
Okay the female is starting to get ich most likely... Can you turn your heater up? Also do you have a QT to isolate the angel with the white bulge on his head? Have you tried a fungal medicine?

Also with these meds, you have to use them consistently to help. I don't know if you can dose all three, but I would try if anything gets worse.

Read this for the female: http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

I would definitely try a fungal medicine for the male. Cotton growths are almost always fungus. Anyways, how are your params? Fungus and parasites, there has to be something going on...

Thank you so much! It's so obvious now that they have Ich. I only have the two angels in that tank, and both of them have the ich. I'll ask if it's possible to use an ich, fungal, and antibacterial, because the antibacterial I believe would be very beneficial for the open wound.

I'm not sure, I've never done it. What I would do would be to use the heat treatment for ich, and then use the fungal medicine. Keep melafix on hand, but you don't need to use it right now.

Back
Top Bottom