Urgent Help ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeevster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my pair of kribs spawned about 3 weeks ago. only 2 fries survived. all these days both parent were looking after the young, but as of yesterday, the Male has started to chase the female around the tank, and the female is hiding near my filter, and she has lost all her color.
The 2 fries are left alone, they seem to be okay ... but why is the male chasing the female ?

any insight would be much appreciated

maybe she cheated on him?? :lol: just kidding. it could be that she tried to protect the fry from him or vice versa. it is one of those things that unless you know the reasons through seeing them then you really sometimes don't rightly know. Heck, it could even be a territorial thing.

It isn't uncommon at all for cichlids to chase their 'mate' away from the nesting site, though in my experience it is usually the female who turns the tables on the larger males and chase them away. Likely he's trying to protect the remaining fry from anything he thinks MIGHT eat them....and that includes the female.

-Joe

Back
Top Bottom