urgent - need help identifying possible disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeeannInRSM

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon quarantine tank I set up using Dr. Tim's One and Only. I had 8 neons (about 1/2 - 3/4") in it for a couple of weeks, then decided to add Corydorus habrosus (10 of them each at about 1/2"). Everything was fine for a couple of days, then the smallest neon (who has always looked thin in the stomach-area) developed ick. The tank was treated for ick with Ick-X and also received daily water changes.

Toward the end of the treatment, the same neon developed a white cottony looking growth and a few others looked a little ragged. I followed one of the LFS's suggestions (a reputable gentleman who maintains other people's tanks during the morning and runs his shop in the afternoon and evening) to add salt (1TBL per 5 gallons), finish the ice treatment, do a large water change, and add Pimafix and Melafix (1 tsp per 10 gallons...so, 2 tsp of each). This was done last night. I was very careful about the temp of the water.

This morning I notice one of the corys has increased respiration and was laying on his side. He righted himself, but doesn't look quite right. Two of the neons look like they also have an increased respiration and maybe their gills are a little swollen (when I catch them from the back, it looks like they are open a little). Since I got them, the corys have generally sat on the bottom...once in a while look for food...once in a while come to the surface for air. In general, not super, super active.

Any ideas on what this could be? How would you proceed from here?

I wasn't sure about the Pimafix and Melafix...have read mixed reviews. I have purchased MarOxy, Maracyn and Maracyn to have at the ready...waiting to get some feedback. Please let me know if you think I'd be better off treating with one of a combination of these products and if I need to do anything to remove the other products from the water (i.e. water change or run with carbon filter...please be specific like how long do I run with the carbon?) or if they can be used in conjunction (I'm also trying to get ahold of the manufacturers, without luck at this point).

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to AA!

First off you need to do your water tests and post your results. Ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte and pH at a minimum.

The labored breathing on the cory's is likely caused by one of 2 things. first, they may have picked up ich as well (it starts in the gills usually before any signs of external spots appear). Or, it could be that using the meds you used killed your beneficial bacteria and therefore you could have elevated ammonia and/or nitrIte levels that are causing the labored breathing.

Ok, I will do that and re-post. However, I doubt they have changed since last night.

I have completed the treatment for ick and per the LFS, did a large water change. pH as of last night was 6.8, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0.

I may have gone overboard with what "large water change" means. I was anxious to get the ick medication out so that I could treat whatever else was going on. So, I put the fish in a clean (never before used) tupperware container and drained the tank. Cleaned the filter (but not the biowheel). Added Dr. Tim's (formerly known as biospira) and reintroduced the fish slowly. The water had been brought up to the correct temperature and some was added slowly to their container before they were added back to the tank.

This is my quarantine tank and was set up at a time when I wasn't sure if my primary tank had cycled. So, instead of using an extra filter from the primary, I went with what I though was the sure thing, Dr. Tim's.

I'm still not sure about the primary tank. It seems stable. However, it also has 0 nitrates. I've been told that my using Matrix in the filter can account for this.

retested - numbers are the same pH 6.8, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0

Dumb question: Are you using water dechlorinator?

- How are you acclimating your fish?
- Is the tank cycled? The lack of nitrates may be due to the PWC, but I just want to be sure. I've no experience with any biological jump starters, but I'm a bit skeptical of their abilities.

Are you using water dechlorinator? yes

How are you acclimating your fish? matching water temp, adding a little of the new water to the bag every few minutes...don't have a formal drip system set up

Is the tank cycled? no, it's a quarantine tank that I started with BioSpira. I have been monitoring water quality (pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates) and doing frequent water changes.

Back
Top Bottom