urgent please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charlieweaver21

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok im still new to this am i doing something wrong. Or did i just get bad fish. So i have tank testing seems pretty good. 0 ammonia. 1ppm nitrite and 20ppm nitrate. 7ph. So yesterday i added 4 fish. 3molly 1male 2 female and 1 angelfish. So when i got home i hung the bags in the water to get the temp the same. 10min later one of the mollys had died in the bag. So i was well guess to much stress she was never in my water so couldnt be my tank. So last night 8 hours later the other female molly died. No im worried but again i just blamed it on the store. And well woke up this morning another 8 hours later and well the angel fish died overnight. So now im really scared what happend must be messing up somewhere? But all my other fish have lived just fine. Including the 3 mollys i started the tanks with. They were troopers. Any one got suggestions what should i do.

How long has your tank been running? What are you using to test with, strips or liquid? What is your water change schedule? You're tank does not appeared cycled, your water parameters should be ammonia & nitrItes 0, nitrAtes <40. I would do at least a 50% water change to get the nitrItes down, I would retest about an hour later & if the nitrItes are still above .25 do another water change. NitrItes are dangerous to the fish.

You have to do more than just float the bag in the tank to properly acclimate them. A lot of people use a drip method for acclimating new fish, I float a container in the tank, add a tablespoon of tank water to the container & do this about every 15 minutes for an hour or more. It is VERY possible that the fish were already sick when you purchased them which is why it is suggested to have a QT tank to keep them in for about a month to make sure they are not sick & therefore won't hurt your main tank.

My tanks been up for 9weeks. I just have test strips. I'm going to get a liquid test kit today. Sense tank is so new i didnt do water changes for the first month but starting week five i have been doing about 30% water changes every week with the last one being 2 days ago.

My tanks been up for 9weeks. I just have test strips. I'm going to get a liquid test kit today. Sense tank is so new i didnt do water changes for the first month but starting week five i have been doing about 30% water changes every week with the last one being 2 days ago.

After 9 weeks it should be cycled but I wouldn't add anymore fish until you can confirm. The strips are typically not very accurate so when you get your liquid test, test the tank daily for about a week to make sure your levels are ammonia & nitrItes 0, nitrAtes <40. Then if you want to add fish do research to make sure they are compatible with your current stock & tank set up. Only add a few at a time so as not to overload your BB. I'm thinking the fish weren't healthy when you purchased them. When & if you decide to add more, please make sure to acclimate them properly.

EDIT: How big is your tank?

+1 The size of the tank is necessary, for further advice. If you are putting all these fish in a SMALL tank, you are in for a bad time and its VERY hard to keep a little tank clean and balanced.

30 gallon. Ok well i got liquid test and everything is good now. Ph is 6.8-7.2. Ammo is 0. Nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 5 so must have be the stores fish im gonna guess. I hope they dont make my other fish have problems

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120925_170808.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120925_170808.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 57
  • ForumRunner_20120925_170824.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120925_170824.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 56
Oops i upload the same pic both times. The picture on last post was after some money and alot of hard work. The pic with this post is this morning. Not good as u can see.

Hmm this android app need some help in the uploading pic. Part

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120925_180333.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120925_180333.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 46
  • ForumRunner_20120925_180319.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120925_180319.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 49
Man that's bad, water change ASAP and if you have some Seachem Prime drop some into the tank, looking close to fully cycled - but at the most dangerous to fish bit where you get high ammonia and nitrite.

Yeah i already got it fixed. I posted the new water test first. The one with no puple for the nitrites lol

Yeah if anyone ever has problem with there water those api nitra-zorb filters really work. Well worth the money if you need a quick fix.

Back
Top Bottom