(Urgent!)White Spot Help please!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyLuva

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my black skirt tetras has tiy white spots Im sure its a disease called white spot. I just fonud out now. Then i hurried and got this book about fish and it said white spots can rapidly grow in 3-4 days. which is bad because itll reallese the young and spread. Please help I dont know what to do! I cant seperate him because i dont have another tank. Im desperate 4 help. Help please!
~>Myni<~

I hav a question do you think i can put my skirt tetra in a different tank instead my other fish becuz i dont have another tank except 4 a tiny one?

You can treat ich with the heat method. Raise the heat slowly in your tank to 87-88F. Add extra aeration or lower the water level a bit in the tank to increase splash. Keep the heat up for 2 weeks after the last spot of ich is gone. Doing water changes is also good, just make sure to match the water temp when adding new water.

You should treat the whole tank because if one fish has ich then the others can also get it quite easily. Ich is always present in the tank, just sometimes certain conditions cause it to rear it`s ugly head.

Yes you could, but it would need to be setup as a quarantine tank, with a filter (no carbon if you are treating for ich)/heater.

If it is ich, it probably won't matter at this point, if it is manifesting itself on 1 of your fish, it is in the tank, and more than likely several fish will become infected unless you begin treatment on the infected tank. I don't have a lot of experience with it, but I am sure some other folks on here can give you more info on whether or not a quarantine would be useful in this case. Generally, a quarantine tank is better suited to house fish for a few weeks before adding them to the main tank to ensure they don't exhibit any signs of disease that could be spread to the community.

ok but zags i hav a question would it really be safe to raise the tempature in my tank with zebra danios, pleco, black skirt tetras, serpae tetra, because they need a tempature below 87 degrees

2 weeks after the last spot of ich is gone. I have treated the tanks with serpaes this way before and no trouble. The warmer water increases the fish's metabolism. With the extra aeration fish tolerate the increased temps just fine.

Thank you so much 4 your help zags!!!! But if theres other things i need to remember or know please tell me so and should i start today or tomrrow?

oh, ok at least i know now. Well thanks very much 4 helping me and my fishy friends, we appreciate it.
~>Myni<~

Back
Top Bottom