USDA Aquatic Snail Ban

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Resurgent

Aquarium Advice Regular
http://www.ekkwill.com/usaqsnailban.html

Am I the only one that is affected/peeved about this? Anyone else here a snail lover that's affected by this?

f78b600a.jpg

Thebluyak said:
how do you ban a snail? Even more how do you enforce that?

No pet stores in Florida that I called have them anymore :*(

Not a ban, but a restriction...permits are now required for import and interstate transport...and it took effect 5-6 weeks ago, but the dealers have only just got their permits this week....its really affected our ability to get P. brigdesii into the shop up here....but they arrive tonight for the first time in a month.

Toirtis said:
Not a ban, but a restriction...permits are now required for import and interstate transport...and it took effect 5-6 weeks ago, but the dealers have only just got their permits this week....its really affected our ability to get P. brigdesii into the shop up here....but they arrive tonight for the first time in a month.

Oh good, so I should call pet stores later this week to see if they have them again? Another thing I was thinking about is what did all the pet stores do with their stock when this took effect? Did they destroy the snails?

resurgent dont buy any snails!!!!!!! i have about 60 3 week old P. brigdesii you can have as many as you want for free, theres more on the way too. where in florida are you? im in the tampa bay area.

monlov said:
resurgent dont buy any snails!!!!!!! i have about 60 3 week old P. brigdesii you can have as many as you want for free, theres more on the way too. where in florida are you? im in the tampa bay area.

if only you were closer :( im looking for a snail for my 10 gal :(

Hmm, black market snail smugglers will be the next big news story. :twisted:
Wonder what the penalty will be; 5 years or $50,000/snail? 8O
Some folks could be sitting on a contraband gold mine. :wink:
Time to sell my snail farm stock, before it bottoms out. :lol:
Big Brother is Watching :roll:

monlov said:

Aww damn I'm in the Ft Lauderdale area. However, if they stay banned maybe I'll be willing to pay shipping!

They ban them for a reason people, many animals have been released into areas with devastating effects to the surronding enviroments. I live by lake Erie which has a serious Zebra Mussel problem and a few others so I can see why bans need to be in effect.

Ya, there's a real concern here in Maryland about the Asian snakeheads that have been found in the Potomac River. Several HUNDRED young ones were caught in a few hours in a tributary stream. It has always been illegal to introduce non-native species, but I doubt that the new regulations are actually going to prevent it, if it hasn't happened already.

I think that the more adaptive fish and animals should be banned due to the stupidity of some people introducing them to wildlife. Dont get me wrong I like fish and love the hobby but I still rather have my surrounding enviroment not screwed up by it.

Well this is still going on :( None of the pet stores in my area have snails

Yeah, we've got serious zebra mussel problems in our local reservoirs as well. People are just idiots and don't practice common sense.

hulkamaniac said:
Yeah, we've got serious zebra mussel problems in our local reservoirs as well. People are just idiots and don't practice common sense.

What did the stores do? Flush them down the drains? lol

its still going on here, they have signs up in all the stores. i still have some if you want some, like 40 still realy little, and about 20 that are a little bigger then an eraser

Snail fanciers/breeders are scrambling to get the proper permits to ship snails; I think the pet shops need to get a permit too. Once everyone gets this done, brig snails should be back in the stores (I hope). If you can find someone who breeds snails and has a permit to ship them, you can git 'em!

-Someone who has a cr*pload of baby snails!

Back
Top Bottom