use for used aquarium water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1972ford

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have over 400 gallons of active aquariums thats translates to 150 to 250 gallons a week in water changes. I also have a python and 125 feet of hose i just found with rodays water change i get better suction priming the python and draining the water outside. This opens up a real of possibilities for all that aquarium water. Ive thought about setting up a old bath tub and keeping it full of the water and having easy live plants growing outside or digging out a pond and using the water to feed the pond. The possibilities are endless I thought Id ask around to see if you guys had any ideas?

Also i have a 26" pleco and algae tabs are expensive over time could i set a 10 gallon tank outside let it get overrun with alge and throw a few cup fulls in my tank to feed my pleco?

i have over 400 gallons of active aquariums thats translates to 150 to 250 gallons a week in water changes. I also have a python and 125 feet of hose i just found with rodays water change i get better suction priming the python and draining the water outside. This opens up a real of possibilities for all that aquarium water. Ive thought about setting up a old bath tub and keeping it full of the water and having easy live plants growing outside or digging out a pond and using the water to feed the pond. The possibilities are endless I thought Id ask around to see if you guys had any ideas?

Also i have a 26" pleco and algae tabs are expensive over time could i set a 10 gallon tank outside let it get overrun with alge and throw a few cup fulls in my tank to feed my pleco?

That bathtub idea has lots of potential! You'd probably end up with some nice live goodies in there that at least some of your fish would appreciate.

I only have a fraction of the gallons you're dealing with but my 15 year old daughter is in a horticulture program at her high school. I save the dirty water for the plants, they love it!

What Theresa said....makes WONDERFUL ferts for plants. I use it all the time to water house plants and even outdoor trees. And they are LUSH :flowers:

Get a few bathtubs, depending on size they hold 50-80 gallons.

For the pleco start supplementing his diet with cucumber and zuchini or other veggies

i do use zucchini he wont touch cucumber i just wanna move away from the wafers its the most expensive food for my fish other than blood worms but those are treats

Why not get one of those big containers people put under their roof drains to capure water ? And then use that to water your grass or something.

cause im not taking water that drains off my roof and putting it in my tank. i do have rain barrrel but i dont like mowing to often i usually use a sump thats hooked to a sprinkler on my roof to water the roof in the heat of the day it seems to cut my electrical useage and i get to sone of the water again as it drains back into the barrels

I've been using used water as irrigation for my roses. They've never been more lush or bloomed longer into the fall. Better than Miracle-gro.

One of my friend's cousin had a 2,000 gallon tank with some tilapia and plecos, and he had the water set to go into a homemade garden he had and he grew tomatoes and carrots with all the waste water. It was really cool, as he raised the tilapia to sell to seafood/fish markets.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom