used tank cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blizowman1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have someone giving me a used tank that may have had a ich problem or something they said it was the white stuff all over the place and they were dosing it with salt before all fish died now its been sitting half full for a while and they just wanna get it out of the living room she's giving me tank filter lights gravel everything...so what do I need to do to make sure it wont carry over and will I beadle to use everything im getting with it

Honestly, I would toss the gravel, any decorations & any filter media. Disinfect the tank & filter housing with a 10% bleach solution, rinse well with water, & allow everything to dry before using it. Hope this helps!

what about ammonia I had bought some for a fishless cycle but didn't get the right kind cause it had surfactants in it would that work the same as bleach or should I just use bleach and I can use the filter just get new media.and would a single betta that's been in a 1.5 gallon that I got the kids be enough to cycle the tank? I have a test kit and already fish in cycled a tank so I know how to keep an eye on it

I would drain the tank completely and then clean everything really well with a white vinegar & water solution.

Throw out all the old filter media, you don't wan't to carry stuff over to your newly cleaned tank. Clean everything, The filters, gravel, decorations with the vinegar solution

rinse out the tank really well to get out all of the vinegar

then when your filled back up with water, start a fishless cycle since you will have no more beneficial bacteria

Both my tanks are secondhand tanks. I did the following to disinfect it:

-Strong concentration of bleach filled with water. Don't know how strong, I just chucked in a whole bottle and filled with water. Left overnight.
-Empty tank. Fill with water. Leave overnight. And repeat it a second time.
- Let it dry and start setting the tank up.

My last tank has been running for over a week now with no problems.

I would drain the tank completely and then clean everything really well with a white vinegar & water solution.

Throw out all the old filter media, you don't wan't to carry stuff over to your newly cleaned tank. Clean everything, The filters, gravel, decorations with the vinegar solution

rinse out the tank really well to get out all of the vinegar

then when your filled back up with water, start a fishless cycle since you will have no more beneficial bacteria

Vinegar works great for cleaning a dirty tank! But, in this situation, its not appropriate. When its a case of an unknown disease killing off all of the tanks inhabitants, the only safe means to assure all of the disease has been eliminated is bleach. Its not worthwhile to keep the gravel or the decor & risk introducing an unknown pathogen.

I agree on the bleach solution. As for cycling, how big is it? Bettas have low bio loads, so I doubt it would be able to cycle anything by itself. I would use that ammonia and just do a fishless cycle.

+1 on the bleach.
What are you planning on stocking the tank with? If you are planning on a fish in cycle I'd suggest using some of the fish you plan on stocking not the Betta.

I can't use the ammonia to cycle it cause it has surfactants its a 29g ill probably put neons or cardinals in it

ok so I cleaned it with hot water in the tub scrubbed all sides and filled it up and poured some bleach in the tank put some of the plastic plants and a couple plastic caves in the tank with the bleach and let it sit for a while poured it out and refilled it with hot water and poured in a double dose of prime and let it sit there for awhile then poured it out and rinsed all the plants and the plastic caves off with hot water and set it all out to air dry over night. I've bought all new gravel so do you believe what I've done was enough to clean everything I've mentioned...

Make sure you rinse your new gravel! It sounds like you did a good job cleaning- good luck with the new tank!! :)

well since y'all gave me the advice I figured id show you what it looks like. remember this tank was put in my 5 yr old daughters room and will probably have her male betta that's getting this 29g upgrade from its 1.5g its in now and lots of neons and maybe some of the glofish.
img_1784358_0_084589d98d1393d6913ab7dbeaf21754.jpg

img_1789643_0_3e385a016117822bb19eb2ce8a070b15.jpg

I wanna put some of these in there with some neons but then I don't think ill be able to put the betta in the tank

Back
Top Bottom