using a kiddy pool as a goldfish pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kim_luvs_fish.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi, i was thinking of maybe getting some goldfish, but tanks right now are pretty expensive, especially when there tanks big enough for goldfish. anyway would a little kiddy pool about 150-300 gallons be ok for about 6 goldfish( 3 fancy goldfish and 3 orandas)? it would have filtration, and it would obviuosly be dechlorinated. oh and also are there any other type of coldwater fish that could live with the goldies? like some sort of minnos?(sorry spelled that wrong).

hi, i was thinking of maybe getting some goldfish, but tanks right now are pretty expensive, especially when there tanks big enough for goldfish. anyway would a little kiddy pool about 150-300 gallons be ok for about 6 goldfish( 3 fancy goldfish and 3 orandas)? it would have filtration, and it would obviuosly be dechlorinated. oh and also are there any other type of coldwater fish that could live with the goldies? like some sort of minnos?(sorry spelled that wrong).

I don't know that it's a good substitute for an aquarium, but I thought about that too as a possible building block for a portable pond. If you're thinking really young goldies, IMO it's best to raise them in a tank until they're big/old enough to live in a pond setting.

As for the price of tanks, craigslist.com (CL) has some really good deals in most communities.

We use a kiddie pool for QTing our new goldies and koi before putting them into our main pond. As for keeping them there permanently, that's questionable. Comets can get to be about 12 inches or so, fancy goldfish (what kind of fancy, fantails?) can get 6-12 inches, orandas about the same.

As for minnows, we keep rosey red feeders with ours. We also have some dojo loaches in QT that will be going into the pond. And yes, they can live through our winters, some folks on a pond forum keep them in their ponds in Canada. We have heaters.

I would think there are a few factors. What size pool? Location? And pool materials. You could always use the kiddie pool as a form and put a pond liner in it. But as for using it as is, Like dragonfish said, I know lots of pond people that use them for qt. But not seen them used long term. Although, My lfs has had turtles in a kiddie pool with a slide for about 10 years now.

As for the plastics leaching anything out, That would be temporary and could probably be tested for(phosphates etc.). Once reading are normal, not sure what else would come. Plactic can become brittle when exposed to elements like temp swings. Like those plastic chairs you buy then break after the winter.

I have a rubber-made 300 gallon livestock water trough ringed with landscaping blocks with goldfish and some unknown interlopers that came in as eggs attached to plants ordered. Pretty cool setup.

Back
Top Bottom