Using Emperor filter wihout the biowheels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kilgore

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I had planned to break down my 25-gallon and use the existing filter (an Ecco Eheim) on my new 46-gallon along with the new filter I bought for it, an XP1. I planned to put the inlets/outlets at each end of the aquarium for best circulation.

Well, I guess my boyfriend has MTS because he said, "Can't we just keep the 25 where it is and get rid of those stereo speakers and stand that don't work anyway and put the 46 over there?" So I am pondering this question.... but (1) that means five tanks for me to clean every weekend, 6 if you count the hospital, and (2) I won't be able to use both filters on the 46. However, I have an Emperor filter that I used to use on the 46, and while I know those are not ideal for planted tanks, I was thinking perhaps I could just remove the biowheels on it? If I keep the water level up the splashing from the HOB shouldn't cause too much off-gassing of CO2, should it?

Will it matter if the tank is next to the TV? I know it is not recommended.... and figuring out the filter issue doesn't help with the maintenance issues or what we will do when the landlord comes to our house, but oh well. Let me know if you have any ideas. :)

If you are injecting CO2, then you can remove the biowheel, yes. But in the media basket, you may want to use some biomedia as well. It should not be a problem. But if you are not injecting CO2, then you can keep the biowheels on, as it will keep the CO2 level more constant at the atmospheric level. The only time you don't want to use a biowheel is when injecting CO2. But some people still use them and works just fine, just go through a little more CO2 in the long run. Won't hurt anything.

Thebluyak said:
why shouldnt the tank be near the TV? other than water issues getting on the tv

Loud noises can stress fish as they are incredibly sensitive to vibrations. That said, we don't plant to crank the TV up and the fish can handle a movie once in a while, I would think. Guess we'll just have to deal with it, cause my boyfriend won and we're putting the tank there and keeping the other one going. I mean, really, can I argue with one more tank?

I can just see us in two weeks.... we'll be watching the TV with headphones on so it doesn't disturb the fish, and we'll be arguing over whose turn it is to do the water change. That's right - he agreed to help more if we would keep both tanks set up. :)

Thanks, Lonewolfblue, for the info on the Emperor, I am not officially injecting CO2, it's one of those Nutrafin canisters (i.e. improved DIY)... plus I add Excel. So does that count? I will try it without the biowheels and if CO2 seems stable or too high I will put them back. I seem to recall that when I had this tank setup 8 years ago, the plants did great with just the Emperor, biowheels and all, and the only fert I added was Kent. So go figure... but I was young then and now I want to do things "right." ;)

If adding Excel, I think you are fine. As for the DIY, if it's a bigger tank, they don't do a lot. You would pobably need 2 1 liter bottles DIY on a 46G to really help. The CO2 systems like Nutrafin, if it's the one I'm thinking, are for smaller tanks, usually up to 20G. So I think you could keep the biowheel on, as you are adding Excel, which does not out-gas.

As for loud noises, I don't think it really stresses fish that much. They get used to it. My 26G is next to my 600W home entertainment, and even when cranked, the fish just act normal. :)

Back
Top Bottom