Using Excel in conjunction w/ Regular Flourish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahelmes71

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, I bought some Flourish at local store and some Excel online.

Can anybody recommend how best to use these in conjunction? I have 55 gallon with double-bright LED set up. 2 anubias, 1 large crypt, two java ferns, and about 10 fish.

I had been dosing the Flourish once a week, but now the Excel arrived and I'm wondering if I can use them both once a week? Since they are different products I'm assuming they can complement one another?

I dose both as per the bottles instruction when I do my pwc's, usually twice a week, haven't seen anything negative yet.

Using Excel and flourish

Okay, I bought some Flourish at local store and some Excel online.

Can anybody recommend how best to use these in conjunction? I have 55 gallon with double-bright LED set up. 2 anubias, 1 large crypt, two java ferns, and about 10 fish.

I had been dosing the Flourish once a week, but now the Excel arrived and I'm wondering if I can use them both once a week? Since they are different products I'm assuming they can complement one another?

Hello a...

If you dose according to instructions, you should be fine. I personally didn't have good luck dosing Seachems's Flourish Excel. It has a trace (1.5 percent) Gluteradehyde. This an industrial form of carbon that ferns and mosses don't tolerate very well.

I used the Flourish Excel a couple of years ago and it damaged my Java fern. It's pretty pricey too. I've found less expensive alternatives that will work just as well and don't contain "Glut". This is just my opinion.

B

Hello a...

I used the Flourish Excel a couple of years ago and it damaged my Java fern. It's pretty pricey too. I've found less expensive alternatives that will work just as well and don't contain "Glut". This is just my opinion.

B

Wow, I thought Java Ferns were basically indestructible! I will go easy with the stuff. I got a couple bottles off Amazon relatively cheaply. I might just do one capful a week which should last quite awhile. I'm not doing any supplemental CO2 so I figured it might be worth a shot.

You don't really need to dose Excel for java ferns. But since you are dosing it anyways, might as well pick up some nice stem plants. It's not as good as pressurized co2, but better than nothing. Also, it's used a lot for spot treatment if you do have pressurized co2. Spot treatment means filling a syringe up with excel, and the spraying it on leaves where there is algae.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom