Using jars as decor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey there guys.

We seem to use a ton of glass jars (pasta sauces, jam and peanut butter lol)

Anyways instead of recycle binning em or throwing em away I was wondering if I clean em out could I use them as decor items in my tank?

I plan to have a few as caves and maybe use a few as planters?

So would this work?

:thanks:

It shouldnt be a problem. Just RINSE like mad because soap residue=death..... I wanna see the pics when you do it. I think it will look awesome!

You can use soap if you rinse well. I wouldnt want food residue either becaues that would be really bad...

GodFan said:
You can use soap if you rinse well. I wouldnt want food residue either becaues that would be really bad...

Well the toughest part was the sticker residue.

A brand new pan scourer and a bit of elbow grease removed them soon enough.

It's soaking in boiling water now to remove any other junk, I'll scrub it again after.

Here's a plastic version of the jar, the glass one had the exact same amount of labels and peanut butter lol :/

Attachments

• image-3163947042.jpg
    image-3163947042.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 74
Ok here's a few pics of before and after.

It seems the neons are very intrigued lol!

Attachments

• image-2176451793.jpg
    image-2176451793.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 77
  • image-1634054946.jpg
    image-1634054946.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1801547504.jpg
    image-1801547504.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 78
Yes please! I just thought of one covered in moss in a corner of my tank, with a cory poking out of it.
Actually i may use such a jar to give my cories some cover from my evil Endlers during feeding time.

gabysapha said:
Yes please! I just thought of one covered in moss in a corner of my tank, with a cory poking out of it.
Actually i may use such a jar to give my cories some cover from my evil Endlers during feeding time.

Haha well if you do I wanna see pics! :)

I think the moss will be hard to come by in my area though :( I'll have to look around

Back
Top Bottom